LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Project Information

This is a king size head board I made for our master bedroom. The design is one I saw in a book someplace. LOML didn't want a foot board because they make it too difficult when making the bed. The legs were made by mitering both edges of 4 boards to have the rays show on all 4 faces. I used biscuits to keep them aligned during the glue up. Tapering the ends was interesting due to their length. I used a long angled ripping guide and had to make a temporary infeed table to control everything. The finish is 3 coats of Target's EM6000. Thanks for looking.

Gallery

Comments

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I could very easily sleep in that bed…just sayin. Great workmanship!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,662 Posts
Wow, great project Art. Beds are a lot of work.
The figure in the oak is outstanding, and I love the inside curves.
Couldn't be finer my friend.

How did the biscuits on the legs work out for you? Obviously the results are superb. Just curious if you found the biscuits helpful in that situation.
Also, what kind of hardware did you use?

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
love the headboard, nice details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
looks very nice and elegant. What did you use to hold together the bottom frame rails to the posts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Nice job. Made our head board a couple years ago and the Mrs. is still hankering for a foot board. Maybe this winter.

...rookieII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
Thanks to all for the compliments.

Willie, the biscuits were okay. As you know they have a little play in them, but they did most of the holding everything together while I got the clamps on. I wasn't able to install them for the final miters, of course, so I just taped that corner and watched it to be certain that I didn't tighten the clamps too much. I think I will use splines instead of the biscuits for future similar adventures. :)

The only hardware I used was carriage bolts, nuts and washers to attach the posts to the metal bed rails. Since there wasn't going to be a foot board, I didn't want to waste my oak on rails that are not seen because she uses skirts on all the beds.
 
Top