LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Project Information

I just finished this target rifle stock. It's made from English walnut and tiger maple. The design is modeled on the Remington 40X target stock and it's inletted for a short action Savage. It's just rough sanded to 100 grit at this stage. I'll sand it with 180 and 220 grit before I ship it to the customer. It won't be a finished stock, but it will have 90% of the work done. The other 10% takes 90% of the time to finish a stock… It has been rubbed down with mineral spirits to show the grain. The maple will look lots better with a little dye before finishing so the stripes will show. The cherry slab I'm using for a table might be a finished bench in a few days. I'll post photos when it's finished.

Gallery

Comments

· Registered
Joined
·
19,716 Posts
That stock looks great
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Very nice stock I'd love to see it with the finish on it if your customer would supply some.
 

· In Loving Memory
Joined
·
145 Posts
HalDougherty,
Nice looking stock. I hope that the customer enlarges the barrel channel, glass beds the action and free floats the barrel, prior to finishing. The fore end appears to be sufficiently wide, to allow it to ride the bags well. What chambering is he using in front of the 40x action? Congratulations on a nice use of the woods. I'm sure the finished pics' will be lovely.

Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Great looking stock. I'm sure your customer is going to love it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
It's going to have a Savage Model 12 223 action and barrel. Going to glass bed it before finishing. Also, going to sand and finish this stock to perfection. I'll post photos once it' all completed,.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Great job, I really like the tiger….I am sure it is going to look absolutely amazing when it is all the way finished. congrats on a job well done.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Gorgeous gun stocks. Love the contrasts. My husband wants me to try my hand at gun grips for handguns. Will soon attempt it!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18,689 Posts
very cool.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
If I knew how, I would post the stock with the barrel action in it. Added a Brass Butt Plate to it instead of a recoil pad.
 
Top