LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Project Information

End-grain cutting boards have comprised about half of my projects to-date as a novice woodworker. I made the first one as a Christmas present… now my wife, sisters, and mom all have one. Whenever I make one I end up with a few strips of segmented wood leftover because I got the dimensions wrong, or because I dropped one and cracked it… etc.

I just finished a copy of Spagnolo's board (also pictured) for my mom and I decided to make salt shakers out of the leftover strips because they were all piled up in a multicolored jumble. Unfortunately, my speed-bore blew the end-grain apart on a couple of the first attempts. I had to file down the lead threads in order to keep it from biting in so hard. These two sets came out pretty well.

I used a couple of tapered rubber plugs to stopper the bottoms. Two coats of poly for the finish… not sure if that's an appropriate finish for this application, but it was the best I had on hand and it's just an experiment.

Gallery

Comments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,385 Posts
From what I can see and read. it sounds like a great idea. Perhaps you can show some pictures of the bottom with the insert..thanks for sharing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Hawaii, I'll post up a few more shots and descriptors after work. Once I figured out the process, it was all pretty easy and repeatable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Before reaming out the center holes, I sliced off about 1/16th to glue back over the top of the hole. I had to get a bit creative with the glue clamp force.

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
nice idea. probably would be better if you used a forstner bit instead of a speedbore. better control. otherwise very attractive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
I actually did start with a forstner bit, but it wasn't long enough. I went out to get longer ones, couldn't find any, and came home with the speed bores. Once the tip was filed, they worked really well. Unfortunately, it took a little trial and error to get there.
 
Top