This is a blanket chest I made for the wife. As a begining woodworker, I learned the value of a jointer on this project and have since acquired one. It took a lot to work out the joints on the glued panels. I also learned that without a jointer it is very hard to deal with bows and cups in your boards. This was also my first experiment with building the finish up. I read many of the blogs on this site to learn of the different combinations possible. I used three coats of varnish and then brushed on three coasts of high gloss polyurethane on the outside. I only went two on the inside. It is made from white pine and stained with dark cherry chocalate stain mix from Sherwin Williams. My father-in-law is a house contracter and had some left over. Still learning though. I think that never ends.