LumberJocks

Dunlap 103.23622 Drill Press #2: Addressing the motor pulley and shaft

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by sansoo22 posted 07-16-2021 11:14 PM 538 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Introduction and Planning Part 2 of Dunlap 103.23622 Drill Press series no next part

In my previous entry I said reassembling the quill would be my next task, however I decided to order an ultrasonic parts cleaner and some Simple Green HD (purple kind) to do a much better deep clean on the entire quill. Stay tuned for the write up on the cleaning as I have never used an ultrasonic cleaner before so that should be fun.

Today most of my parts order from McMaster showed up including the key stock. So I decided to run over to Grainger on my lunch break and pick up the bushing I needed for the motor pulley.

Parts Used:
Grainger – 2X773 1/2” ID x 5/8” OD x 1-1/4” split reducer bushing
McMaster – 98510A125 3/16” x 1/4” undersized steel machine key stock 12” long

Here is the bushing so you can see what it looks like. The split down the side is 3/16” wide to accept the machine key.

And here it is in the pulley.

Next thing to tackle was the chewed up motor shaft. I have an image of it in my previous post but here it is again.

All the places where the set screw had dug in over the years left a lot of burrs on the flat part of the shaft. If I wanted a nice tight fit with the key those had to be gently removed. So I put some brake parts cleaner on a rag and cleaned off all the junk. Following a thorough cleaning I used a fine metal file to gently remove all the burrs and here is the outcome. Its not perfect but it will do.

Now comes the fun part. The machine key stock I ordered was a few hundredths to big. I put the pulley with bushing on to the freshly prepared shaft and measured 0.220” between the pulley key slot and the motor shaft. I probably could have gotten away with a 3/16” key but I already don’t like a D shaped shaft and keyed pulley. So time to break out the files and shave this bad boy down. This is one of those times I’m super I happy have a tool grade surface plate. I don’t have the steadiest hand filing but some 60 grit on the surface plate between filing kept the key flat and square. After about 45 minutes of file, sand, measure I got the key shaved down to 0.225” at one end with a slight taper across its full length. The tape was by accident but it works VERY well.

Here it is wedged in by hand. About 2/3rds of the key drops in with no resistance.

And after three or four light taps with a punch it is in place.

The pulley will still come off by hand even with the key wedged in. Its not exactly easy but I don’t need a puller to take it off. It has about the same amount of friction fit as the pulleys on my band saw. I think it should hold just fine. I turned the motor on and it still purrs nice and smooth so I guess we will see once the drill press is fully assembled but I’m confident this will work.



1 comment so far

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

18417 posts in 2297 days


#1 posted 07-19-2021 06:06 PM

That’ll work. It isn’t as designed but it will work just as well and for just as long on this machine :-) Well done using the original components and making it work.

-- I collect hobbies. There is no sense in limiting yourself (Don W) - - - - - - - - Kenny in SW VA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com