LumberJocks

Fixing cracks in a Stanley knob

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by sansoo22 posted 01-22-2020 06:20 AM 325 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This blog post is a bit overdue and the knob still isn’t 100% finished but close enough to do the write up. A few weeks ago in the Show the Restoration before and after thread I posted this plane.

The restoration went well except for the cracks at the bottom of the knob that re-appeared as soon as I tightened it down. They were only hairline cracks while it was off and not under pressure so i filled them with gel super glue but as soon as i tightened it i heard it make a “pop” sound and knew they had reopened.

Here are the cracks I’m talking about…had to use flash to get them to show and man does it make the whole thing look terrible. So kind of glad i get a shot at redoing it.

With help from corelz125 over on that thread and a YouTube vid I found about fixing Trigger for Willie Nelson I devised a new plan.

First step was sand it back down and purposely open the cracks up more.

Tools of the trade

Cracks opened up wider while keeping the knob on the plane and tightened down the whole time.

Next step is use some 2 part epoxy to fill the cracks. The epoxy was suggested by corelz125. The bit I got from the YouTube vid was using compressed air to force the epoxy into the cracks. I don’t have a pic of that process but I used an air needle like you would for filling a basket ball. You want the type of needle that has a straight hole and not the type with a hole off to the side of it. My pancake compressor’s gauge goes from 0 to 25 so im guessing a bit on the psi used. This whole process had to be done while the knob was on the plane and tightened otherwise the cracks would close and couldn’t be filled.
Here is the finished epoxy. It’s on thick but you can make out how the compressed air forced it into the cracks. The epoxy is a bit lower in those spots.

Next step was fill the inside and any spaces in the bottom with epoxy. Had to crank up the brightness on the camera but here is what that looks like.

Bet you can’t guess the next step…IT’s more sanding! The cracks are barely noticeable now (first pic) unless you hold it up to the light (second pic).

And the last step covered today is the danish oil step…oh and after that step you get to play find the crack…and not the type you smoke. At hi-res you can see a dark line that looks like a grain line and that’s it. On these smaller photos it probably wont show at all.

To finish up I will sand it again with some 400 just to knock down any grain raised from oiling, do one last coat of oil, let it sit for a few days and then spray lacquer it.

Hope you enjoyed this journey. It was a lot more effort than just buying a replacement but I learned how to save it.



2 comments so far

View Steve's profile

Steve

101 posts in 3774 days


#1 posted 01-23-2020 02:40 PM

Awesome save. Well done!

-- Free Wood Videos Here: https://bit.ly/2s0LyPT"

View KYtoolsmith's profile

KYtoolsmith

166 posts in 661 days


#2 posted 01-29-2020 10:55 PM

Wow… I’ve never gone to the trouble to repair cracked knobs that way. Never thought about doing it on the plane. Good job!

-- "Good enough" is just another way of saying "it could be better"...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com