My Cabinet Maker's Mallet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sIKE updated 03-03-2008 04:37 AM 3 parts 3135 reads 13 comments total

Part 1: Stock Prep

02-26-2008 04:45 AM by sIKE | 5 comments »

I have restarted working on my Cabinet as shown in an eairler project I have already made two of these and this one is for me. The Maple and the Walnut have been planed down to the 3/16” thickness, the mahogany is still a bit on the thick side and needs to be run through a couple of more times to get it just right, then it will be time to cut it to length then start the lamination The handle has been roughed out and I am going to do a bit more shapine in the middle to have it ...

Read this entry »

Part 2: The first two glue ups and finished shaping the handle

03-02-2008 05:40 AM by sIKE | 4 comments »

I made some good progress today working on the mallet. I got the first glue up done and the dado for the handle ran through.After the dado was cut in, I then proceeded to the second glue up.Between the glue ups I started working on the handle again. I used the handle last night to test my new Auriou rasp for the 29ths reviewathon. It did a great job, though learning how to use the rasp I did leave some deep teeth marks in the handle. So out came my 3M 80 grit sandpaper, and I spent the better...

Read this entry »

Part 3: The final glue up

03-03-2008 04:37 AM by sIKE | 4 comments »

Well didn’t get as much done as I had hoped. I did get the 1 1/2 inch threaded rods epoxied in.I then finished up the last two layers of the lamination and got the layout for shaping the mallets head done.For fun I slipped the head through the mortise just to get an idea of the final product.

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics