LumberJocks

Trays

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 04-05-2014 12:47 AM 8 parts 11076 reads 28 comments total

Part 1: Titanic Serving Trays Launch

03-24-2014 05:36 AM by robscastle | 4 comments »

I wanted to make some Serving Trays featuring the RMS Titanic.So after doing some research I found all sorts of interesting facts, amongst them was a story regarding a body being found on the ocean floor.Being a bit on the macabre side I decided to try and find out if it was a hoax or the likes. Sure enough a pair of boots and a coat were found together indicating the last resting place of one of the passengers, I didn’t think much more about it and began the preparation of my trays....

Read this entry »


Part 2: Titanic Serving Trays Ends raw work completed

03-25-2014 02:05 AM by robscastle | 1 comment »

I finished the end blanks and as it started to rain, Hoo Rah !! I had to stop for a while. The process, as you saw in the previous blog I jointed and glued some selected stock together to make up the height for the end of the trays carry handles. In the process of doing this I neglected to cut at least one of the half’s parallel before gluing. (Silly move) This resulted in me having to set up my saw slide jig and accurately setup the joint lines to cut the side of each of the e...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Titanic Serving Trays The Odd couple

03-25-2014 02:21 AM by robscastle | 4 comments »

In the preparation of the end pieces I ended up with timber which I could not match up.So I put them aside for the time being and selected two other pieces. Well as I was setting up my band saw to cut the end stock I used a short piece of scrap to do test runs. This is them in the middle of the photo. I then selected one of the Odd rejects to do a “real” test The bandsaw cut quite well and this is the result I ended up with! I was very taken back with the e...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Titanic Serving Trays Base work

03-26-2014 05:17 AM by robscastle | 5 comments »

The veneer I sliced up was prepared to use as a feature base for one of the trays.Here is the progression work involved and a few photos. First up I had to bookmatch the veneers as accurately as possible.Then edge sand them to a perfect edge matchTape them all together and prepare the base For this I used Titebond II glue, mainly for its quick setting properties. Then applied the veneer and rolled it on Once I was happy with the positioning I assembled the veneer press. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Titanic ServingTrays Profiling the Ends and Handles

04-02-2014 02:37 AM by robscastle | 1 comment »

The production of the ends has been covered previously so I will not bore you with that again. After measuring out the handle holes I used a 12.5mm straight bit to make the handle opening. This I did on the shaper angling the stock end and slowly allowing the bit to fully penetrate the timber, once this was through it was just a simple matter of ensuring the handle was centralised on the timber. I then used a round over bit to finish off the edges, then all will need a final fill an...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Titanic Serving Trays The Spooky inlay

04-02-2014 08:12 AM by robscastle | 5 comments »

I thought I had better post this blog as I decided today to cut one of the four trays down to allow its use. Now its currently unfinished due to the possibility of laser engraving, but here it is in its raw pre assembled form. The spooky faces are still visible Here is a bit of a close up for a “better” view. And another view from a slightly different angle Then a fitting end shot I am sure you will see it again finished and posted as a project,...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Titanic Serving Tray No 1 has surfaced

04-04-2014 02:45 AM by robscastle | 5 comments »

Well I did say standby for some wow factor from LLWW Here is tray No 1 assembled. I curved the ends to make the tray more “original” The frame has four screws holding on the ends which are concealed by the side end pieces. The base is simply glued to the frame with Titebond III(apologises for the blurry pic I had it inside the garage without a flash) Materials: The ends/handles are Cherry the sides are Spalted CherryThe base is marine plyThe logo graphic manipulati...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Titanic Serving Tray Spooky Inlay Progress

04-05-2014 12:47 AM by robscastle | 3 comments »

I removed the clamps from the backing veneer today. I didn’t expect to see such a good result, and was not concerned too much as it was the underside. But it turned out well. Preparation 2 x sheets of Jarrah A coating of titebond II on the MDF then, In the clamps Leave it overnight to dry and then out of the clamps Flat as! Looks like a finish will be May sometime now as I am having lots of fun with the Cedar block !

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com