LumberJocks

New Guinea Rosewood Boxes

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 08-09-2014 07:29 AM 6 parts 10927 reads 35 comments total

Part 1: The lid fabrication

12-05-2013 10:47 AM by robscastle | 6 comments »

I was looking at TAGs twin boxes, (Pair of Thea/jewelry boxes) they impressed me with the simple design of the frame. The lids I didn’t even attempt to replicate TAGs effort on my lids but you will see the resemblance when completed. I started off with the medallions for the lids as I had a piece of walnut I wanted to use which would determine the final size. I inadvertently sawed the walnut up then realised I had not jointed them, so I used some Liquid hide glue to re-join th...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Fabricating the Box frame timber

07-20-2014 10:17 PM by robscastle | 9 comments »

The usual jointing and preparation of the NGR stock took place. These are the blanks I used edge glued to achieve the depth I wanted They are jointed on the reverse edges, meaning facing down out of view I made a total of six sections 4 x for the sides and 2 x for the ends Then it was into the thicknesser to reduce them all to the same thickness.Then on to the table saw to square one end. Once that was done it was then out with the steel rule to measure precisely the inside lip...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Bases made and The Dovetail Joints glued up and sanded

08-05-2014 09:31 AM by robscastle | 6 comments »

The NGR Boxes got some attention today, the progress of them is a bit slower than I anticipated but it is progressing just the same. I made the bases from some blockboard I had which was a good size for the job. I was originally going to re saw some more New Guniea Rosewood but my band saw did not have the capacity to do it. The bases I cut to size on the table saw and then used a shaper set up with a with a couple of router bits, a slot cutter and a rebate bit. Once ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Routing the side and end features

08-06-2014 08:36 AM by robscastle | 7 comments »

Well it was time to add some character to the boxes I really wanted to insert Walnut medalions but it was a bit advanced for me so I opted for routing profiles instead. I spent most of the day making the routing template and modifing and rejiging it to do all the work in one process. First up I attended to the little chip outs here and there,and acknowledging DAC’s suggestion to use NGR sawdust was heeded. I gathered up some sanding residue and used Titebond III to prepare m...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Sanding and finishing

08-08-2014 10:17 AM by robscastle | 5 comments »

I sanded the boxes to 1200 G and applied a coat of Orange Oil to one to check the finish. I used some more of the green scouring pad which I found out “everybody” uses !! and a flap disc on my Battery drill along with a 1/2 sheet sanding block to get all the areas tidied up. Here is one with no finish Then both as a comparasion And now the one oiled a second view, the lid was retreated as well to attempt to get the desired match It does look nic...

Read this entry »


Part 6: The router profile work explained

08-09-2014 07:29 AM by robscastle | 2 comments »

You may have seen a follow up comment I made about thinking of using a different router bit to do the profiling. Well I got a scrap of wood and did some test cuts just to satisfy my curiosity. History: The NGR boxes were profiled with a 90Deg Grooving bit. So I set that up first and cut the profile, I then used the Combination bit and repeated the process. These are the results I obtained: This is both the profiles and the respective bits together The 90 deg grooving bit...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com