LumberJocks

Bunya pine work

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 12-04-2019 03:26 AM 4 parts 3067 reads 73 comments total

Part 1: Grant's Bunya Pine part 1

11-29-2019 10:44 PM by robscastle | 52 comments »

Yesterday I did some work on the Bunya Pine recovered from my friend Grants property. Background: – The 3 of us moved the complete stack to Anthony’s farm at Dyraaba in two trailer movesRe stickered it and set it down in the shed. Sizes We loaded 1 x large piece ( 3850mm x 700 mm x 60mm) and 1 x smaller piece (3850 mm x 500 mm x 60 mm) and hauled it back home here in Brisbane via the international airport where I dropped off Anthony for the return trip to Hong Kong. I...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Grants Bunya pine Pt 2

11-30-2019 09:25 AM by robscastle | 8 comments »

well I decided to do some more exploratory surgery on the pest riddled off cut to see what has actually been done. The reason for this was that the end grain I checked seemed to evidence of full penetration damage. First up to make everything reasonably safe to work I ripped off both live edges As you can see and as expected the insect damage is still evident. So I made two more rips one about 25mm wide and a second about 60mm wide. Here is the 25mm one And n...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Grant's Bunya pine Some horrid discoveries have been made

12-02-2019 08:46 AM by robscastle | 8 comments »

OK today I decided to do some exploratory surgery on the large slab this time. Now this slab is almost 4m in length so my track saw was too short to fit I resorted to using my truing timber piece in two distinct setup cuts. Both live edges showed sign of insect infestation so they were the first to go. I chalked two lines on the edges to be trimmed and initially set to work with my modified track saw then used a hand saw to cut the live edge free. This proved to be a bit of a...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Grants Slab The Final Solution

12-04-2019 03:26 AM by robscastle | 5 comments »

Well as the title indicates its not good news. I selected an off cut from the center of the big slab and commenced dissecting it. Three pieces, two at 150mm and one at just under 200mm Then sliced the three pieces in halves. No point in laboring the issue its completely useless all pieces were completely riddled and eaten out with the beetle larvae life-cycle Some other bits I tried. So all for disposal, pity it wasn’t winter here as it would disappear...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com