LumberJocks

Red IronBark Adventures

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by robscastle updated 10-02-2018 12:39 AM 6 parts 9787 reads 56 comments total

Part 1: Cutting off some ends

09-07-2017 01:09 AM by robscastle | 6 comments »

I hauled one of the Red Ironbark posts onto a pallet and cut off the ends with the mortices and rot in them. The main reason for doing this was to have a complete length without any rot or previous work in them. What I found has changed my mind in regarding to ripping them into planks. Another view They are the effective center of the original log and any material I rip off will be subject to cupping be the grain structure, as I wanted to maintain the maximum width. ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Ripping Red Ironbark on the table saw

09-05-2017 10:19 AM by robscastle | 4 comments »

OK I skoffed a few cans of spinach and musceled the red Iron bark post onto my table saw. Did a cut reversed it and did another cut and that was enough until my son arrives. What I got: First up I fitted a new blade, as I knew my saw was going to be “workin” chewing through that monster. The saw actually performed very well, pity I am not as strong as I used to be. So that was enough. It reminded me of when I tried to mill a log on my bandsaw! I didnt take a ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Red ironbark I assume?

08-26-2017 09:31 PM by robscastle | 7 comments »

I saw these posts sitting next to a skip bin this week. As I have been working I didnt have the opportunity to enquire about their disposition, and each day as I drove by I wondered about them some more. So I rang the number on the house raising sign on Friday arvo and they gave me to OK to remove them. The are all about 150mm x 150mm and range from 1.6m to 1.8m or 6” x 6” and were used to stump the existing house, from what I saw they had cut them out and rep...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Working some Red Ironbark off cuts

09-07-2017 05:27 AM by robscastle | 6 comments »

I was really supposed to be cleaning leaves out of the roof gutters but after the first bin load I pulled the piece of rotten Red Ironbark off cut I put there earlier and decided to amuse mysellf with it. I took to the end with a die grinder bit then sanded it to 320 Grit and applied some shellawax All pretty good I thought too nice for the bin anyway. Now back up the ladder !!

Read this entry »


Part 5: Wrestled another Red Ironbark post today Pt 1

09-30-2018 09:57 AM by robscastle | 26 comments »

I decided to prep another Red Ironbark post today but the rain called an early halt to proceedingsSo this is the only progress I made. Introduction:I am not sure just how much these post weigh but they are right on my max weight I am able to manage on my own. Inital preparation before sawing: I cleaned to post down with a 200mm rotary sander with 2 x discs at 40 G.This removed the bulk of nasties and paint allowing me to find any surprises.Sure enough there were two hidden treasu...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finishing the post the rain halted work on Pt2

10-02-2018 12:39 AM by robscastle | 7 comments »

OK not a lot to show and tell there just the finishing process after milling the post into five boards. All I did was to joint and thickness the faces, no real dimensioning at this stage as I am unsure just what exactly the timber will become in its final project role.No edge trueing or dressing the ends was done just yet. What I have now is five pieces about 1.8m long x 150mm x 25 to 28 mm thick and a thin sheet of veneer or some such about 4mm to play with. The sun is maki...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com