LumberJocks

Joints #5: 3 Way Joint In the begining

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 11-03-2016 06:26 AM 965 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: The Reverse Glue Joint Aug 2015 Part 5 of Joints series Part 6: 3WJ Frame Assembled and begining the sanding then oh no »

This “proof of concept” activity is a direct result of ChuckM posting a project about a 3 Way Joint he had made

It was an interesting article and generated some also interesting replies.
I am always keen to try a “different” joint even if just for the heck of it so I decided to try it for myself mainly to see if I could do the same as it looked cosmetically attractive.

I do not own a domino Joiner so I was not able to strengthen the joint that way.
Instead I used round dowel.

I set to work using some scrap semi rounded stock, this rounded stock also proved to be a less than satisfactory move, as holding eveything square was an added test fo me.

I also glued everything up in one clamping session.
This was possibly not a good move, read on,

I cut the 45 deg ends with my compound saw.

I then attempted to glue it all together, a little tricky I must say.

I made some 90 deg braces to assist in holding everything together for the Titebond III glue to do its job

I also added a custom “bungie” cord to maintain the vertical aspect to ensure a good joint.

At this stage the remaining frame is only dry assembled in the clamps mainly to keep everything square and level as one leg is attached.

It all seemed to work OK so next was replicating the method on the second half, the diagonally opposite leg and frame.

I assembled everything as explained above and set it aside to dry.

Here is the first half out of the clamps.

Continues.

-- Regards Rob



4 comments so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10639 posts in 4467 days


#1 posted 11-03-2016 06:31 AM

Looks very interesting…

... looking forward to seeing more details on the subject…

Thank you.

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php

View crowie's profile

crowie

3095 posts in 2365 days


#2 posted 11-03-2016 08:07 AM

cleverly done sir….

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

2864 posts in 2762 days


#3 posted 11-03-2016 05:09 PM

For a first pass with some scraps and such – not bad. It does look like the pieces didn’t come together as tightly as they need – or is that just the way the pictures look? Any experience/ideas to pas along on how to get things lined up, square and tight? Would clamps directly on the ends help or pull things further apart?

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

6223 posts in 2619 days


#4 posted 11-03-2016 05:45 PM

Thanks Guys,

EarlS

You are correct this is how it should have been done

The use of my 90 deg clamps worked against me as they rely on precise 45 deg angles and dressed and square parallel stock completely straight, or the clamps tend to push the joint open due to errors in precision as it clamps up.

Plus not having a Domino machine didnt help matters.

-- Regards Rob

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com