Furniture #15: 1500 mm Table attaching the edges

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 08-03-2016 07:09 AM 1231 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 14: 1500 mm Table Top Squaring and edging work Part 15 of Furniture series Part 16: 1500 mm Table top working the top »

Well I went shopping again today, on my list was two more sash clamps and timber suitable for edging the table, the reason for this was because the edging was bigger than the table profile my unistrut clamps could not be used as sucessfully.
I managed to buy two clamps, from Trade Tools 1×1680 mm ($59) and 1×1980 mm ($69) these were exactly the same as the pair from my friend Michael.
The edging timber was a different matter I bought a 3 m piece for $32 but when I milled it and cut off the rubbish I lost almost 50% of it, so much for buying timber at Bunnings! A total wase for what I wanted to do.

So with this setback I again dithered about wondering what to do.
Eventually sanity took hold again and I rang my woodworking friend Wally who lives around the corner from me.

Wally is about 95+ and has an area under his house packed with wood and wood working parafanalia of all descriptions. Sure enough he had some Merbau posts of which he gave me in return for me doing some leaking tap plumbing work. That was fine with me so I hauled the post home

Here it is on the saw.

My plan is to dock it and then quarter it so its suitable for edging.
Here is the end docked off

Next it was into the table saw for ripping.

Then again back on the saw for quartering.

Here is a close up shot of the distinctive fleck grain

I then thicknessed them and then using an off cut to do a precise test sawed in a groove to match the table tongue

Cut one end 45 deg and dry clamped them onto the table to ensure I had an exact measurement for the glue up.

All went well and I pulled it all apart again, applied glue and clamped everything up and left it to dry.

I then applied all of the edge clamps I had to ensure all was fully contacted and a couple of F clamps to ensure the corners were level

I deliberately left about 1mm proud at the top surface so I would end up with a even surface in the next phase.

Nothing too exciting about work today apart from some very satisfying results for a change !!

My new clamps are the red ones, and they match exactly the pair I borrowed.

-- Regards Rob

1 comment so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10963 posts in 5131 days

#1 posted 08-03-2016 04:10 PM

Looking better… & better…

Thanks for the Update…

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics