Furniture #12: 1500 mm Table Top a short diversion while I make Jigs and a shopping list

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 07-31-2016 03:48 AM 1621 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 11: Table top 1500mm x1500mm Part 1 Part 12 of Furniture series Part 13: 1500mm Table Top clamping the sections up »

My intention was to biscuit joint all the boards together using 6 in the edges and 2 in the ends, however clamping material 1.6m in length was a challenge along with holding two boards flat.

So I made a purpose built Jig to biscuit the timber and then to allow me to clamp 4 boards up together.
This means I can now biscuit join 2 sets of boards and stilll have the width ability to drum sand them if required.
To over come the length issues I daisy chained 4 sash clamps in pairs to do the job. Its far from satisfactory but works untill I go shopping for more.

The saw Jig construction:
I made two hardwood rails for my table saw and mounted a piece of particle board on them as close to square as I could get them.

Then using a building square on the table bed I them mounted a large jointed piece of timber as a guide.

From this guide on the left I screwed an arm out at 1050 mm from the saw blade on the left.

First up I squared one end of each board and cut off any checking, any that finished less than 1050 became 550 mm pieces. The reason I was so particular with the lengths was so that I had at least one edge as a datum for later work.

I simply used a block on the fence to obtain the 550mm. This will give me an length of 1600 allowing 100 mm or 50 mm each side for squaring later.

I used a square to check on the cuts, and they were very close to 90 degrees, I could see some light through a slight gap which glue will cover anyway so I was happy with that. The reason for this Jig was due to the fact my Incra gauge was too light for this type of work and I was getting errors initally, Plus I didnt have a sled anyway.

The clamping and biscuit cutting Jig:

I had to use a spacer under the biscuit cutter to centralise the biscuits, it all went well.

The Clamping Jig was big enough to clamp four boards, two short and two long staggered together.

For this jig I used a piece of bench top off cut which had a melamine or laminex finish which was good as the glue would not stick very well to it.
Again using my builders square I made a 90 degree anged frame on one side and one end, put heaps of screws in it and then used some “Good Hand” Clamps I had, these were supposed to push the edges together, (fail) (they were too light duty for the job) so I ended up using F clamps.

As soon as I applied the F Clamps the boards rose up off the jig, so I had to add a Big Good Hand Clamp to push them back down. Not visible in the pictures !! BTW the clamps are not bent or curved its a illusion.

The shortage of full length sash clamps posed a bit of a problem but I overcame it this time, will not be possible later though… go shopping!! ( I took one set off for the photo.)

So I set to biscuiting, glueing and clamping up all the boards, it took 2 days as I could only do 2 sets at a time and then had to wait for the glue to set, by the end of the weekend I had them complete.

Here they are stickered and left overnight to completly set

I thought they all joined well no cupping or bowing so I set them up loosley against the fence and took a picture of them to send to my Son.

To be continued.

-- Regards Rob

5 comments so far

View crowie's profile


4561 posts in 3025 days

#1 posted 07-31-2016 03:54 AM

Lot of work in that table but it’s sure looking good sir….

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10963 posts in 5127 days

#2 posted 07-31-2016 05:12 AM

So far, so good…

Now what? :) LOL

Waiting on pins & needles.. LOL

Thank you!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:

View Roger's profile


21054 posts in 3878 days

#3 posted 07-31-2016 01:15 PM


-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. [email protected]

View PhilBello's profile


411 posts in 3042 days

#4 posted 07-31-2016 09:06 PM

I used to use Biscuits a lot, but can’t get hold of them or the jointer down here, I would have to import, so I turned to pocket holes, and have never looked back, I find it far easier than biscuits, and no clamping problems. Saying that, your project is coming along great!!

-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright

View stefang's profile


17040 posts in 4409 days

#5 posted 08-01-2016 04:29 PM

Well done. Bisquits really help keep everything straight. I also liked the clamping jig.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics