Making Mouldings #7: More contrasting pyramids from kiefers work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 03-23-2015 11:42 PM 1578 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Kiefers pyramids or diamonds Part 7 of Making Mouldings series Part 8: Dentil Work »

Well again a brilliant post by Kiefer has motivated me to try and discover the hidden skills of fine wood working.

This blog is a direct result of seeing the SAPPORO project.

Not being content with just seeing the work I was curious as to how it was done, so again I set to work attempting to replicate some masterful work.

I glued up a couple of bits of off cut Camphor Laurel and a piece of good old Aussie Gum ( may be yellow stringy bark not really sure)

I had planned to use the overall squarish shape however because of a noticable twist in the timbers it was not possible so I cut them in half in an attempt to recover some use from them, this changed the aspect of the timber considerably, so the effect was not as startling, a little dissapointing but I pressed on

I then trimmed the stock up and joined it crudely on the table saw to make sure I hade a suitable work datum

First up I commenced cross cuttining the pyramids. The setup I used involved the rule above the saw blade again, so as before if you choose this method please take care.

Once all the cross cuts were done it was then on to the ripping stage. Here they are just off the saw.
Some of the pyramids fell out some didnt.

To remove the off cut sections not required I snapped them off with a small flat blade screw driver

Once that was done the raw product was then resawn between the pyramids to clean it up. (to get rid of the sand!)

These are the final results.
Note: The second piece did not make it sadly as a couple of the fixed pyramids broke loose whilst being sawn so I didnt continue with them. They may have possibly been where the knots were.

Did it work? well you be the judge !!

There are things I should have done better, however,


-- Regards Rob

4 comments so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10951 posts in 4971 days

#1 posted 03-24-2015 12:48 AM

Looks like it worked to me…

Very interesting…

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:

View stefang's profile


17040 posts in 4253 days

#2 posted 03-24-2015 09:22 AM

Looks good Rob, but the half pyramids on the edges would have looked better as full pyramids. Maybe not so important if this is just an experiment. You might want to save those cut out pyramids to use as supports for painting/finishing work.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View robscastle's profile


7527 posts in 3123 days

#3 posted 03-24-2015 09:49 AM

Mike, I could not agree more. I should have off set the pyramids and achieved this result
This is the second piece which a couple of pyramids failed, so I experimented on them.
First up I cut off the damaged section then trimmed off the residue making the single pyramid

Not content with that, I then decided to saw off one off the halves and stick them on the opposite side.

Finishing up with this effect, although its just sitting there its certainly a more balanced and useful feature.

Yes the offcuts, I gave some serious thought to making a medeval style effect door with metal bands and diamond shaped dogs holding it all together, all being timber of course and then painting it with rust effect paint.

Oh the things you do when you are retired!

-- Regards Rob

View Roger's profile


21031 posts in 3723 days

#4 posted 03-28-2015 11:17 PM


-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. [email protected]

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics