Working with recycled timber #41: AKs ToolMakers Chest Carcass Assembly

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 03-19-2015 07:27 AM 1862 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 40: AKs ToolMakers Chest Filling Sanding and Routing 9 Drawers Part 41 of Working with recycled timber series Part 42: AKs ToolMakers Chest Making the Front Panel Door »

Today saw some good results along with some not so good ones.

Trying to work professional results using amateur skills I guess produces a result some where in between, anyway I had a great day learning how to overcome self inflicted errors.

I had spent some previous hours attempting to determine how to mount the drawers in the chest, there was no “minature slides” around so I gave up on the slide idea.

I chose to use plywood support separators for the drawers mainly to keep the overall height down and set to work cutting stopped dados in the sides to accept them.
The first challenge I discovered was that I did not have a 7mm router bit so I used a 6.3 mm 1/4 ” one and a steel rule to enlarge the rebate to fit the 6 to whatever mm plywood I had, every spot I gauged it up gave different results ranging from 6mm to 6.5mm.
This took ages to do, mainly because of the time taken up with setting up, checking correct positions, clamping and then rechecking everything before each cut was ready to go.

Now trying to produce repetitive dados in the frame sides made me lean towards using my shaper, so it was off with the existing fence and use a length of wood and clamps as a guide,

Here is a shot of the setup and the very first cuts, all went really well and I was able to mirror the opposite side OK and used a backer block to prevent tearout.

Only problem was it was in the incorrect location! was right smack in the middle of where the drawer slide was going to go. So I stopped took out my eraser and removed all the additional lines I had made and now no longer needed.

I continued on adjusting the fence and checking the setup more closely this time (well so I thought) and continued on
It wasnt untill I saw a few dados completed that the stop/start points were all over the place.

OMG how could this be? then I realised when I reset the fence I didnt realign the center point for the stop start index as well.
This really annoyed me as I knew I was going to have to try and recut the dados somehow.

Now attempting to reset my make shift fence correctly and get everything lined up again was in my mind to me almost impossible and would lead to nothing but a wriggly mess. I didnt have enough timber to re do the frame either !

So I made a jig that would stay parallel on the shaper top for a start, I then used the backer I was using to reset the height of the cutter, that was a stroke of luck I tell you as I had changed bits to do round over of the ply!

A more defined center line was added as well!

I set everything up again and set to work expecting the worst however I pulled one out of the hat and got a much better result than I ever expected.

I was so surprised with my ability to align everything by just my eye, it gave me increased confidence and I pressed on making the support bases for the full length drawers and dry asembled everything.

Beavering away I then completed the six half size drawer frames and dry assembled them also,

Things were really looking up!

The Opps fix:
I cut a secton of timber from scrap and glued it in the goof area and later sanded it off, could not do much more than that.

The 7mm Dado:
How I obtained a 7mm dado with a 6.3mm bit. Possibly not something to recommend to WW learners but it was my “fix” (I cannot believe how much variation ply wood has…its almost rubbish !!)

As the first cut required me to use a back cutting method I chose to use the rule first up and after removal made a normal cut thus removing the run on problem from the backcutting situation.

Well the day is done, I wasted lots of time but eventually obtained some satisfactory results.

Next comes the completion of the top box and the figureing out how the disappearing front door will work.

Editing Note: In my original post I used the terminology Rabbet / Rebate, this has since been changed to more accurately refelect the correct treminology of the groove which is a Stopped Dado

-- Regards Rob

2 comments so far

View Roger's profile


21030 posts in 3411 days

#1 posted 03-20-2015 11:00 PM

That’s some serious storage compartments.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. [email protected]

View stefang's profile


17039 posts in 3941 days

#2 posted 03-21-2015 08:34 AM

I think your experience here Rob would probably be pretty typical for most of us amateur woodworkers and sometimes for professionals too. The important thing is that you got a good result in the end.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics