Box making Curved Front Box #4: preparing the front dry assembly and glue up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 11-13-2013 02:06 AM 2106 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Dimensions and jigs Part 4 of Box making Curved Front Box series Part 5: Cutting the box open »

In this part I fabricate the front sides top and bottom do a dry fit up and then glue it all together

Fabrication of the front

I did quite a bit of brain squirming trying to figure how I could profile the three laminated parts so they were all the same.

Essentially I gave up and glued the three together into a laminated one piece front.

I lay the parts out on my table saw top so I had a flat surface to work on.
I used the two long ends as datum lines to get everything on one plane and as flat as possible and glued and clamped it.

After letting it dry overnight I then used my Oscillating sander to finish the profile.
As I still had pencil lines from the templates I simply just sanded it down to the lines, inverted it and did the other half.

Now I know its possibly not perfectly symmetrical but its as close as I could get it.

Here is a shot of it dry assembled.
Note: The long wings at the ends have not been cut off yet

Fabrication of the sides and back

The fabrication of the sides and back presented no problems, Joint them, thickness them cut them to length, match them up, biscuit joint them together then them dry and then trim them down to size.

I staggered the sides and the back to keep the joints separated.

Fabrication of the top and base or bottom.

As I said at the beginning I used block board for the lid and bottom.
It was originally 19 mm so I ran it through the thicknesser to get it down to about 15 mm .

Using the raised panel template again I cut out the profile for the top aand bottom.

The lid or top is a flush butt joint.
The bottom or base is a tongue and groove fit.

The bottom actually a raised panel upside down, I cut a reverse panel profile on the edges and then matching slots in the front sides and back.

It took a bit of fiddling at sanding to get it to fit in and satisfy the clearances for movement.

I dry fitted everything together and it all looked good, it matched up OK so it was glue up time.

A lesson was learned here….do not throw off cuts in the bin as you may possibly need them to assist in clamping!

As luck would have it the rubbish PU did not occur early, god knows what the neighbours thought seeing me searching through the bin and pulling out small curved bits of wood!!

-- Regards Rob

5 comments so far

View BobWemm's profile


2971 posts in 3010 days

#1 posted 11-13-2013 02:32 AM

Rob, That is coming together really well.
I can just see you bum up in the bin. LOL. Been there.
Cant wait to see it finished.

-- Bob, Western Australia, The Sun came up this morning, what a great start to the day. Now it's up to me to make it even better. I've cut this piece of wood 4 times and it's still too damn short.

View shipwright's profile


8716 posts in 3882 days

#2 posted 11-13-2013 03:10 AM

Looks good so far Rob.
Are you going to double veneer the layer built front?
My fear is that the layers may telegraph through the finish veneer. That can be reduced by first veneering with a base veneer at opposing grain angle (in this case vertical) using a cheaper veneer.
Great project, I’ll be following.

-- Paul M ..............the early bird may get the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese!

View robscastle's profile


7878 posts in 3288 days

#3 posted 11-13-2013 06:36 AM


I had not considered it may show through like railway tracks.

I will have to consider it, originally I was going to pre veneer everything then glue it all together and just do the edges later but had reservations about two glue lines weakening everything and something failing.

Especially if the “junk” timber I used wants to warp, bow or cup.

A serious risk when trying to make something way out of left field with recycled timber.

-- Regards Rob

View stefang's profile


17040 posts in 4418 days

#4 posted 11-13-2013 10:52 AM

It’s looking very good so far Robert. A nice tutorial too.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View NormG's profile


6507 posts in 4088 days

#5 posted 11-14-2013 01:22 AM

Great looking bax

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics