LumberJocks

DIY Aluminum Extrusion Fence

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by rhybeka updated 08-06-2015 02:22 PM 6 parts 14894 reads 33 comments total

Part 1: My journey towards better accuracy

01-17-2015 12:28 PM by rhybeka | 6 comments »

So this blog is being started as a journey for me. That and the original thread is pretty big. Hutch and TeenAngel have done a fantastic job, but I would like to keep my specifics somewhere I can find them. And possibly give some folks with the same/similar saw more pictures since I know I am quite visual when working with this kind of stuff. Anyway, to get started the original blog is here: http://lumberjocks.com/Hutch/blog/2740. I’ll have to edit this post later with exactly the...

Read this entry »


Part 2: It's On! now for the hard part...

07-04-2015 08:07 PM by rhybeka | 18 comments »

Sorry all, kinda forgot I’d started a blog on this process! Well, I can give you the short version to catch everybody up. I ordered the parts and they sat in my shop for about six months until I was able to actually open them up and start trying to figure out how they would all end up on my saw. I found out the 3/4” bolts that Hutch used on his design were too short for my saw, and 1” were too long. I trimmed the 1” down to 7/8” and they work pretty well. It&...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Last steps - brake installation and other stuff...

07-09-2015 01:48 PM by rhybeka | 2 comments »

So I went out to the shop and finished drilling the holes on the other side of the saw and got everything installed there. I realized I hadn’t installed the brake on the front bearing! duh! I started doing this only to come to the conclusion either I need to drill a new hole for the brake to go through, or bore out one of the existing holes (into which a screw goes to hold the pads the bearings use to slide on the extrusion with) Hrm. Also realized I was missing one other piece from ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Confession

07-13-2015 11:37 PM by rhybeka | 4 comments »

drilling the hole for this brake makes me nervous. If I mess it up, I’ll have to order a new linear bearing…. they aren’t expensive but they aren’t cheap. And I’m just mechanically challenged…I’m still a new woodworker…but I know nothing about metal. Well – except how to put holes in it. And I really need this to work on the first shot (which as of right now, I haven’t had enough practice at stuff to get it right on the first try!) b...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Fine Tuning begins....

07-21-2015 12:01 PM by rhybeka | 1 comment »

So for the moment, this is a placeholder for a bunch of pictures I’m going to toss up here on the latest step of this process. It’s all together and as long as I can get it fine tuned, will be great. The lineal bearings slide perfectly until the 3×3 piece of extrusion is tightened down to it so I’m assuming there’s some flex in there somewhere causing this to happen. I’ve shimmed the bearings and that has done the opposite and made it not move what so ever E...

Read this entry »


Part 6: frustration...

08-06-2015 02:22 PM by rhybeka | 2 comments »

so I got the left side of the saw sliding nicely – but the smallest cut I can take is 3 1/4 inches… well that’s not going to ‘cut it’. So, I moved the fence over to the right side of the table (it’s separated in two because there’s a blade guard assembly in the middle that I want to maintain use of). I get down to an inch and some cut there – just nothing finer than about 1 1/4 inches. I know there may be times I’ll want to do something ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com