LumberJocks

The She Shop

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by rhybeka updated 02-18-2019 01:05 PM 8 parts 5927 reads 38 comments total

Part 1: The beginning

07-15-2018 01:50 AM by rhybeka | 15 comments »

It was decided that I was to move my shop out of the two car garage and into a structure in the yard. It was debated and discussed, and finally this past week it was built. It’s not large by any standard, just 12×16. I hired a local amish company to build it just short of siding it since I work a full time desk job and time is not on my side. I wanted to use Hardieplank (that’s another story). The walls are ~7’2” with 4’ lofts on either side. I have batts...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Soffiting,trim, and concrete observations

07-24-2018 03:39 PM by rhybeka | 3 comments »

“slowly and steady wins the race!” Last Sunday (since it’s now Tuesday) my dad returned to help me cut/install the hardieSoffit and corner trim boards. We managed to get all of it done. When I entered the shop in the morning, I noticed water marks on the floor. We’d had some pretty decent rainstorms move through the day/evening before, for the first time since the shed was built. Dad said they show water coming up from the concrete but I’m not so su...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Water Mitigation Continues...

08-13-2018 07:48 PM by rhybeka | 0 comments »

Before travelling for work I was able to enact my first mitigation plan on the wall taking the brunt of the water. I cut the bottom 5.5 inches of OSB so there wouldn’t be ground contact (water staining already existed from the few rains we’d had since the shed was built earlier in July). Once that was up, I saw a contributing factor to my water issue. There’s a concrete control joint that runs under/next to the sill plate. Unfortunately I can only get to part of it. So,...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Water Mitigation Resolved...moving on

09-12-2018 06:37 PM by rhybeka | 5 comments »

I went and picked up the sewer pipe and channel drain supplies from the local blue box. OUCH. Once the concrete channel was cut, my dad gave me the idea of putting in gravel and seeing if that would suffice. I went and got a load of gravel and did just that. This past weekend we got remnants of a tropical storm that dropped ~5’ of rain. not a drop in the shop along the far wall. The little bit of water shadowing I saw will be fixed by putting up a gutter across the front and some m...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Outside or inside?

09-15-2018 06:24 PM by rhybeka | 3 comments »

After making huge progress on the siding two weekends ago, I was torn as to where to start today. more siding and get it done, or sheathing on the inside so it’s not piled outside anymore? I weighed it out and decided putting up interior walls seemed the best option to do alone. Got all set up and my first few pieces cut, and the thought hit me. Did I ever figure out if I should be using a moisture barrier or not? I stopped and thought a bit, not remembering if I’d come ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Siding -90%, wall Insulation - 98%, ceiling insulation-0%

10-01-2018 11:09 PM by rhybeka | 4 comments »

I took a weeks vacation from the paying job and had a staycation…kind of. No lounging in the hammock for me! With help, got the remainder of the siding up and on, so all that’s left there is paint and caulk. wall insulation, vapor barrier and 1/2” sheathing mostly up and somewhat painted. I need to fix one piece and install two others and it’s 100% done. Currently I’m trying to figure out the ceiling insulation. It’s rockwool, 24 o.c. I’ve set baffles in place behind the electrical ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Grinding halt... at least that's what it feels like

02-03-2019 06:10 PM by rhybeka | 4 comments »

Since we last saw our heroine… there’s been some progress… It seems like we went from the dog days of summer to the frigid days of winter with little to no fall in the middle here in Central OH. To catch you all up: - All of the wall sheathing is done and painted- All 10 overhead LED strip lights have been installed- Most of the water issues have been mitigated -still a small area to do near the front door but have to wait until it warms up to above 65 for the product...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Ceiling Insulation Finished - Break in

02-18-2019 01:05 PM by rhybeka | 4 comments »

Just a quick update :) Dad and I finished the rest of the insulation and managed to get 2/3 of it covered with plastic. Unfortunately this was overshadowed by someone coming into our back yard and stealing a good amount of my carryable tools during the week. Adding a few extra locks in places, and shoring the windows up to ensure it’ll be a harder time if they decide to return. Sucks but finally moving on.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com