Great value cast bronze router kit from ebay.

Review by Babieca posted 02-27-2016 02:05 AM 3674 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great value cast bronze router kit from ebay. Great value cast bronze router kit from ebay. Great value cast bronze router kit from ebay. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I decided to build a router plane and went on ebay looking for a blade and instead came across this cast bronze kit from St. James Bay Tool Co.

This model normally comes as part of a 2 router set for $85, but this single without handles was $25. I assume these were on ebay because the castings aren’t perfect. As you can see on the photos above, one of the mounting holes for the wood handles was a little out of round. The set screw was also not finished. However, the bottom is flat and it’s a good functional tool. I’ve got no complaints for the price and I would not hesitate to shop from their ebay store again.

Please ignore my horrible turning. I’ll be remaking the handles soon enough.

View Babieca's profile

Babieca

View CO_Goose's profile

CO_Goose

#1 posted 02-27-2016 05:37 AM

Good Review. I picked up one of these several years ago and love it. It needed a little work filing the top of the casting to make it look nicer, and then turned a couple of handles that aren’t the same, but it works great, and was a lot cheaper than any other one on the market.

-- Just making sawdust

View twotenths's profile

twotenths

#2 posted 03-16-2016 11:36 AM

Always fun to find a forgotten gem on ebay!

View Uirlis's profile

Uirlis

#3 posted 01-15-2020 01:16 AM

Hello All,
Some months back I gave this fellow a chance. Was disappointed for the most part. spoke shave blade center hole was off center by an eighth of an inch, marking gauge casting was rough at best. I sent him a note about these problems and the response was “Sometimes things slip thru”. My best advice would be buy at your own risk.

-- Fear Uirlis