Efficient Use of Expensive Wood--Easy Layout Online Tool

Review by jayseedub posted 06-09-2022 12:24 AM 792 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Efficient Use of Expensive Wood--Easy Layout Online Tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not sure how I discovered optiCutter.com—but it’s already saved me money.

It’s super easy to input the kind of and dimensions of the sheet goods you’re using (you could use it for boards, too), add the dimensions and number of parts you’re cutting out, input your kerf width and… CALCULATE!

Super quick, super efficient, very accurate and easy.

You can get a free account, and that’s all I have—not sure I’d ever need a full paid account as a hobbyist—but it’s truly already saved me a few dozen dollars in efficiently using my plywood, melamine, MDF… whatever.

With the cost of these materials being what they are, there’s no reason not to give them a shot.

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

View NewbieInWV's profile (online now)

NewbieInWV

34 posts in 2081 days

#1 posted 06-09-2022 12:38 PM

Neat site! Do you know what number I should use for kerf thickness? I tried 1/8, but it’s looking for a specific number.

...2 minutes later…

Nevermind. It’s just a decimal instead of a fraction. :-)

-- Mike H, Elkins WV

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#2 posted 06-09-2022 02:02 PM

I’ve been able to use fractions, putting a space between the unit and the fraction: For example “two and one eighth” being written as 2 1/8 (two-space-one-slash-eight).

View Sark's profile

Sark

#3 posted 06-11-2022 02:34 AM

Yes, nice site and great free program. In my shop we used Cutlist Plus, and pretty much ran all sheet goods through the calculation. Parts list created by KCDW and then Cutlist Plus did the optimization and final cut list. OptiCutter looks pretty much like the same thing for less money…until you need the upgraded version. European based it looks like.

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#4 posted 06-12-2022 04:32 PM

I m not sure how I discovered optiCutter.com

- jayseedub

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View HeinrichS's profile

HeinrichS

#5 posted 06-23-2022 07:48 PM

This looks very similar to cutlistoptimizer.com which I’ve discovered a while back – not sure where I found it, but think it was mentioned in one of the various woodworking magazines I often read. I’ve used it for some projects and the option for a one time payment (e.g. $4.90 for unlimited use during 3 days) vs monthly subscription is useful if not using it very frequently. Also running it on my android devices makes it very portable for use in the shop, and when shopping.

PS: I have no affiliation with this software – just a satisfied user.