It was a jointless purchase...

Review by The_Other_Charley posted 05-30-2022 08:38 PM 1170 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It was a jointless purchase... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Has anyone else purchased this jointer? I picked it up last October (2021) for the hard price of $450 (CAD). Having owned many Craftsman tools over the years.. I figured… what could go wrong?!?

I have used it for two projects, rough estimate, 2 dozen passes, not including the out-of-the-box-test/play time passes.

I should actually 1 and 7/8 projects. The last few ‘joints’ where completed on the table saw with a quick made shop jig.

I read a little further into these machines, to find, woh is me… that they typically last a few months before just stopping. No hiss, no fizzle, no sparks, no smoke noises or barks… just stop operating.

Retailer said they would not take it back or exchange it, and craftsman, after almost a month has emailed me asking for all the information I supplied to them the day the machine broke. Thud. That was my confidence falling to the floor…
Let’s see what Craftsman says…

In the meantime, I suggest staying away from these pretty, red paperweights, dust collectors, coffee cup holders… at least until they stop installing this most frustrating feature.

Cheers all

Charley

-- -{ Poor quality far outlasts the low price. }-

View The_Other_Charley's profile

The_Other_Charley

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#1 posted 05-31-2022 02:53 AM

I had one of these. The Universal motor screamed so loudly that the neighbors wondered what kind of tool from hell I was operating. Now I have an antique National, and it purrs like a kitten with its old AC induction motor.

View Sark's profile

Sark

#2 posted 05-31-2022 02:24 PM

When I got married, Craftsman was a pretty respected brand for tools. In fact, I traded in a huge pile of CorningWare cooking dishes—-wedding presents—-to buy a set of Craftsman tools which I still am using today, some 50 years later. Now when I’m shopping tools, the only list where Craftsman appears is the ‘don’t buy’ list.

View The_Other_Charley's profile

The_Other_Charley

#3 posted 05-31-2022 04:04 PM

Lesson learned… i more craftsman tools. Too bad, I like red… lol!

-- -{ Poor quality far outlasts the low price. }-

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#4 posted 05-31-2022 04:16 PM

- Sark

If it’s any consolation, today’s Corningware from China is made with a new recipe, calling for an inferior grade of silica that may explode in your oven. Yes, there’s a great rush for vintage Corningware, just as for vintage Craftsman.

View CTMike's profile

CTMike

#5 posted 05-31-2022 07:33 PM

Charley

Shop Craigslist to redeem your faith in “Craps man”. Buy a 10320620. 6” jointer from the 50’s.

I bought this from CL and it just purrs…..

#6 posted 06-01-2022 01:21 AM

I am familiar with bench top / universal motor equipped jointers, and have not had the issues you have, BUT… I know since Craftsman got bought up by B&D their quality went the way of B&D as well. I will likely never buy another new Craftsman tool as long as I live. And this coming from a guy with a shop full of Ryobi and Harbor Freight tools, that should tell you something…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop

View Mike_in_STL's profile

Mike_in_STL

1467 posts in 2026 days

#7 posted 06-02-2022 12:44 PM

- dbhost

Pretty amazing when Harbor Freight overrules Craftsman. I’ve never purchased any of the power tools because I knew they were bid upon for the lowest manufacture price. Working for Sears in the late 90s and early 2000s opened my eyes big time. Hand tools used to be a go to, not so much anymore either.

-- Sawdust makes me whole --Mike in STL

View Eric's profile

Eric

#8 posted 06-04-2022 01:29 AM

Thanks for the review. Craftsman tools are definitely not what they used to be back in the 80’s and earily. I purchased a Craftsman table saw 1962, last year at an estate auction for $100, purs like a kitten. I did replace the motor last month.

-- Eric, building the dream. the "Loft"

View squazo's profile

squazo

#9 posted 06-18-2022 10:55 PM

buy a new one and send the return the old one. I know its theft but, what do you think they did to you. I’m totally fed up with companies doing this to us. Then return the new one within the window return window.