Love the steel. Hate the handles.

Review by Dave Polaschek posted 05-29-2022 04:44 PM 1138 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Love the steel. Hate the handles. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Decided to write this review because I bonked my head on the bench again while bending over to pick up a chisel that had rolled to the floor again.

The steel in these chisels is nice. And socket chisels are good in that it’s easy to remove and replace the handles, which I find I have to do with all of the smaller sizes (anything smaller than 1/2 inch) which tend to roll away if placed on a surface that isn’t completely level.

Luckily, the fix is pretty easy. Pop the handle out (easy in New Mexico, where the wood dries out so much they shrink), take it to the belt sander, and put on some flats.

Done and done. Much better now!

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#1 posted 05-29-2022 05:11 PM

fan cee GREAT JOB :<))))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#2 posted 05-29-2022 06:04 PM

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. On and put some rubber under the bench to prevent opening up the skin!!

Cheers, Jim

#3 posted 05-29-2022 06:12 PM

nice fix but youd think LN would think of that ?

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#4 posted 05-29-2022 07:11 PM

Nice easy fix, good common sense here.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

#5 posted 05-29-2022 08:07 PM

Thanks, guys.

Jim, I’ve got fake oak composite flooring on the floor already. It does a pretty good job of stopping deadly bounces.

Pottz & Tom, I kinda figured LN woulda thought of that, but then they have immaculate benches that are completely level, I’m sure, so tools would never roll. But I also needed to spray the end of the handle with hair spray before putting it back into the socket, because the handles shrunk so much in the dry air here that they were almost against the shoulder when securely seated. I sent them a note mentioning both issues, but was kinda ranty about it because I had just bonked my head on the edge of the bench.

#6 posted 05-29-2022 09:01 PM

Thanks, guys.

- Dave Polaschek

and all the young guys are sayin,yada yada old dude ;-))

View MrWolfe's profile

MrWolfe

1972 posts in 1615 days

#7 posted 05-29-2022 09:06 PM

Thats so clever and practical Dave.
Kudos on a simple but effective fix. I’m eyeballing some of my lathe chisels now.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#8 posted 05-30-2022 11:28 AM

This has me thinking about what shape to make the chisel and screwdriver handles when I start turning them.

#9 posted 05-30-2022 11:58 AM

Thanks, Jon. Just think about the angle you’re putting the flat on at. I’ve been holding the tip of the tool just barely clear of the sanding belt, which means when the tool is sitting on the flat, the tip won’t (quite) be on the bench. But for something like a lathe chisel, the weight of the tool might change how you want to do that…

Definitely think about that, Earl. The turnscrews I made for the screwdriver swap are favorites because they won’t roll off the bench. Ditto for Grace screwdrivers. Turning something completely round is a bit quicker, but my belt-sander is always loaded with 80 grit and putting flat spots on handles is a pretty quick thing and saves a lot of bending and cursing.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#10 posted 05-30-2022 06:24 PM

Quite banging your head or start wearing that hat in your picture.
Looks like you may have it under control now. For me if it doesn’t roll off I’ll knock it off anyway.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#11 posted 05-30-2022 06:35 PM

These were really annoying me, Dave. I’d set it down, and even if it didn’t roll to the floor, it would roll enough that I’d have to look before picking it up again, because it wasn’t where I’d set it. Now, when I set the chisel down, it stays put.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#12 posted 05-30-2022 10:34 PM

One word, magnets!

Embed them all over your bench top 8^)

#13 posted 05-30-2022 11:50 PM

One word, magnets!

Embed them all over your bench top 8^)

- splintergroup

a big magnet in the handle and a metal bench top ? im not saying it’s woodworker friendly !

#14 posted 05-31-2022 01:49 AM

#15 posted 05-31-2022 02:01 AM

F’in magnets. How do they work?

- Dave Polaschek

easy dave no need to scare the hell out of us !!!!!