Great miter gauge but not without issue

Review by ic3ss posted 05-21-2022 11:52 PM 1277 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great miter gauge but not without issue No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this miter gauge for a while and I’ve generally liked it really well, save for one thing: The nylon expansion discs don’t really work very well. Too much slop in the miter slot allowing it to move around too much.

The problem:

Incra made the milled recess exactly the same diameter as the expansion discs, and when you put in the countersunk screw that is supposed to push the disc apart, it can’t because one half of the disc is locked in by the milled recess and can’t move outward. This makes is so the screw also can’t push out the other side to tighten your miter slot fit. What is needed is more room within the milled recess.

The fix:

First make sure the expansion discs are rotated to one end of the milled opening as the directions say.
Then make a mark on the disc at the other end of the opening.
Then remove the expansion disc and use a wheel grinder to remove just a sliver of plastic, starting from the split and continue the long way around to where you made the mark. This should be a little less than 3/4 of the circumference of the disc. Only remove a very small amount.

This gives some room for the disc to move apart in both directions away from the screw when the screw is tightened.

See below picture. Note how far the split is now. No milling or drilling any metal required, only grinding on replaceable nylon discs.

I did this on all three expansion discs and now the bar is as tight as I want it to be, I can adjust with the screw now for a custom fit. The bar is solid in the slot and I have no sideways movement. This is the fix I needed to do for several years.

Cheers!

Wayne

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#1 posted 05-22-2022 12:11 AM

I have several Incra Miter gauges. If you line up that split parallel with the bar (in your photo pointing towards the Phillips screw, or 180° from it), the ring will expand out the side through the opening creating adequate friction and eliminating any side to side play. That appears to be much more of a gap than I have in any of my friction rings, perhaps because you have shaved off a portion of the plastic.

-- NorthWoodsMan

#2 posted 05-22-2022 02:12 AM

I have the split oriented according to the directions. The disc does come out slightly but not nearly enough. If you give it some room it will expand much more as the screw pushes it apart.

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#3 posted 05-23-2022 04:16 PM

Great idea—but I want to be clear what you’re suggesting.

Sand away a little bit of the plastic disc’s external circumference, from the 11:00 position to 7:00 position, as shown in your picture??

View 21Andean's profile

21Andean

#4 posted 05-24-2022 01:44 AM

Would a metal disc or washer of the desired size work? Just asking because plastic wears out over time.

-- Andean, California

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 05-24-2022 03:26 PM

I was disappointed with the Incra washers on my 1000 when trying to get a decent fit on my Unisaw with oversized slots.

I eventually snapped off the screw heads trying to expand the washers more, they do wear down fast if the slot has any degree of roughness.
Eventually I cross drilled for some ball tipped set screws (6 of them) and eliminated all the issues.

My Jessem miter-II has a similar washer setup (steel), but they are mounted on eccentrics and adjust real easy.

My factory miters bar has a perfect fit, unfortunately these after market bars all need to fit the narrowest slots out there and then adjust outwards to fit all the rest.

View Aaron312's profile (online now)

Aaron312

#6 posted 05-24-2022 06:37 PM

I would suggest contacting INCRA to find out for sure what kind of grease to use. Let us know. I wish I could remember fot sure

View Aaron312's profile (online now)

Aaron312

#7 posted 05-24-2022 06:38 PM

I had the same problem. I called INCRA and they said to put some grease (lithium I think) on the threads of the screws. It sounded like a crazy solution, but I tried it. It worked like magic! I was impressed. Of course, follow their directions on orientation of the washer

I would suggest contacting INCRA to find out for sure what kind of grease to use. Let us know. I wish I could remember for sure

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

#8 posted 05-29-2022 09:24 PM

What I don’t like about mine are the finger knobs for the flip stop. It’s also difficult to make small adjustments to the stop position.

#9 posted 05-31-2022 11:53 PM

jayseedub;
Yes, sand on the outer diameter only.

21Andean;
I suppose a metal one would if you could find one exactly the right diameter. I think that’s why they use teflon as it compresses to take up the slop for a tight fit.

splintergroup;
Your screw head snapped off because the teflon ring had nowhere to go on one half of it as the screw pushed down on the bevel. It was effectively bottomed out.

Aaron312;
It doesn’t seem like grease on the screw would make a difference. I’ll have to put a new spacer in and try it.

Thanks all for the comments.

Wayne

View TheSnekkerShow's profile

TheSnekkerShow

#10 posted 06-19-2022 12:07 AM

I had some trouble with mine as well. The miter bar was pulling slightly above the surface of the table, and the vernier scale was a little off. It was pretty easy to get a replacement from the company, so no big deal. I’ve never been a big fan of that type of miter bar though. I ended up drilling and tapping a Rocker aluminum miter bar to match the Incra bar, and I shimmed the sides with UHMW polyethylene tape to get a perfect fit. I’m sure there are better ways to do it, but it’s worked so far.

-- Ben -- https://www.youtube.com/TheSnekkerShow