A (nearly) magnificent throne for the shop

Review by Dave Polaschek posted 04-25-2022 04:12 PM 1455 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A (nearly) magnificent throne for the shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Far superior to any other rolling shop stool I’ve bought, the DeWalt heavy duty rolling shop stool is pretty great. It supports me at a comfortable height (a few inches higher than the Craftsman stools I previously used), has a generous tray under the stool, and rolls (mostly) smoothly around the shop.

The only thing that keeps it from being perfect are the wheels, which are small enough that they’ll hit a wood-chip on the floor and screech to a halt, threatening to tip me over. Larger wheels would be better. Or I could clean up the shop more often. So yeah, larger wheels would be better.

I also could do without the little raised bit at the back of the stool. A flat seat is fine, and all this one ever does is be facing the wrong way when I try to sit down. A minor problem, less bad than the wheels, but still a minor annoyance.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#1 posted 04-25-2022 04:40 PM

That sure would come in handy a lot!!

Jim

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

#2 posted 04-25-2022 05:01 PM

yep, I agree with all of the above. I got one 3 years ago at the Tool sale at Hartville hardware for $99

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#3 posted 04-25-2022 06:55 PM

Looks comfy Dave. I’d have to use it at 27”+.

Can you use the bottom part as a foot rest?

-- James E McIntyre

#4 posted 04-25-2022 07:03 PM

I can’t use the bottom as a footrest, but someone with shorter legs might be able to. Also, the stool will sit 3” lower of you take off the wheels and use the flat bottoms on the legs (which are included, and sitting on the shelf just in case I decide I need them).

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#5 posted 04-25-2022 09:45 PM

Wow, that’s one Heavy Duty Industrial Grade Throne.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

#6 posted 04-25-2022 11:14 PM

It is. For a guy who weighs almost three bills, it’s about right. Much better than the cheap Craftsman one where the piston now creeps down as I’m sitting.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#7 posted 04-26-2022 12:52 PM

Good review Dave. I’m a guy who need back support when I sit but the adjustability would be favored. Would love to have one though.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#8 posted 04-26-2022 02:32 PM

It’s adjustable, Dave. Just that the minimum height is higher than the max height of the Craftsman stools I had before (which are too low for my long shins and fake knees). Maybe you can ask for one for Father’s Day or something. ;-)

View crowie's profile

crowie

#9 posted 04-30-2022 01:58 AM

Looks like a good seat for the shed, but I don’t have the room.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

#10 posted 04-30-2022 02:24 AM

It is, Peter. I like to work standing when I can, but I find that sitting works better for me for some tasks. I can cut decent dovetails all day long perched on the stool, but if I stand up, they go all wonky. So I’m up and down as the day goes on.