Nice little saw for lumber prep

Review by Dave Polaschek posted 04-21-2022 03:02 AM 1689 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice little saw for lumber prep No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the Grizzly G0948 10 inch 1/2 HP Bandsaw saw after I had some problems with the tension adjustment on my Delta 14 bandsaw and needed to order spare parts. Initially I was planning to buy something bigger as a dedicated resaw bandsaw, but our driveway is gravel, and all the bigger bandsaws are freight delivery, which means they’ll drop it off 50 yards from the shop. So I looked smaller.

The Grizzly 10” 1/2HP bandsaw is small enough to be delivered by UPS. And it’s small enough that it’s easy for one man to set up, though having some help when it comes time to set it on the stand is probably a good idea.

Once set up and connected to a dust collector, I gave it a try. While I thought I would be in a hurry to get my Delta 14 up and running again for big jobs, I’ve been happily surprised by how capable this saw is. I’ve been doing a lot of lumber prep with it, and it does a great job on simple cross-cuts and rips. It’ll cut a curve too, but the stock blade is a 3/8 blade, which isn’t great for curves.

But the best surprise has been resawing with this little guy. I’ve been resawing quite a bit of small stock, including things like 1/8” thick by 3” wide quartersawn pieces of oak cut off a 12/4 flat-sawn board. As long as I keep the feed slow enough that it doesn’t bog, I can go from the bandsaw to usably flat lumber pretty quickly. A 1/8” thick resawn piece of QSWO will finish out at 3/32 when I’m done flattening it. That keeps the cheap bastard in me happy, since I’m not wasting a lot of wood to a wandering kerf, and I still haven’t gotten around to ordering the parts for my Delta.

Grizzly’s 1/2” resaw blade works pretty well too, but I’m mostly sticking with the stock 3/8 blade that came with the saw for now. I figure I’ll use it until it’s too dull to cut well before I switch to the half-inch. Switching blades isn’t easy, and adjusting the blade tension means some fussing around, but I’ve had no problem with the tension changing during use. It’s almost set and forget.

Dust collection, at least with a Harbor Freight 1HP 4” dust collector, has been great too. There’s a small amount of dust that gets left on the table, but most of it is picked up by the dust collector. Nothing like my Delta 14 which filled the air in the shop with dust no matter what kind of dust collection I connected to it.

The little gooseneck light that’s built into the saw is handy. I sometimes forget to shut it off, but it’s an LED so it doesn’t use much juice when I do forget.

The blade guide adjustment is easy to operate. The guides are ball-bearing, and came set up pretty darned close from the factory, but a little adjustment got them right on. Out of the box the kerf would wander a bit, but after adjust the guides, it’s pretty much right on.

The included manual is pretty good. You can check it out for free on Grizzly’s website if you’re interested, which I did before buying.

The only complaint I have about this saw is that the table is pretty low for a big guy like me. The weird top-down view I showed in the picture is how I usually see this saw. But I find I don’t mind that too much. I’ve taken to rolling over to the bandsaw on my shop stool and cutting while sitting down. Works great that way, even for a guy with a bad back.

10271 posts in 2039 days

View Eric's profile (online now)

Eric

#1 posted 04-21-2022 03:43 AM

Thanks for the input Dave.

-- Eric, building the dream

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#2 posted 04-21-2022 11:57 AM

Nice review Dave. Glad your happy with this saw, looks like it will be a good addition to your shop. Enjoy.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

#3 posted 04-21-2022 11:59 AM

Your review just goes to show that most any tool will do the job if you have the foresight to use it to your advantage.
btw – I have a Griizzly 14” bs and use a 3/16” blade for everything. It does my resawing, curves, band saw boxes and never complains.

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

#4 posted 04-21-2022 12:14 PM

You’re welcome, Eric.

Thanks, Tom! I have been so far.

Thanks, Dick! Yeah, there’s some of that, but the tension adjuster problems with the Delta 14 had nearly completely soured me on bandsaws. And that’s a fairly common design on newer (but cheaper) large bandsaws.

One of the things living here in NM with a gravel driveway has tight me is that I need to be a smart shopper. If a tool requires freight delivery, it’s pretty much not going to happen unless Harbor Freight sells an equivalent and I can pick it up in town in my truck. Yeah, I could drive up to Denver to the Woodcraft or Rockler stores, but I’m not going to spend eight hours on the road, screw around with Denver traffic, and pay for a night in a hotel just to buy a tool.

-- Dave - Santa Fe

View Eric's profile (online now)

Eric

#5 posted 04-21-2022 12:25 PM

I have an old Craftsman 9” bench top saw, that is starting to snap blades. Need to go through it and see what the problem is. If it continues, I’ll be looking for a new one.

-- Eric, building the dream

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#6 posted 04-21-2022 01:21 PM

curious how it compares to 10-305 except for cheaper price :<)))))))))

I’m glad you like your new tail toy

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#7 posted 04-21-2022 01:22 PM

Thanks for the review Dave. Sounds like a trusty saw. With the 1/2hp motor that should give a lot of sawing power on a smaller bandsaw. Great for the small work and a good back up .

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#8 posted 04-21-2022 01:53 PM

Good review, Dave.That 10” height will most everything in the shop without a riser. I see it has the same good fence that my Grizzly 14”G0555 ultimate saw has. The high school bought 4 14” saws one step under mine and they have a much cheaper fence.

Hi Dick- I use a 1/4” -10 TPI for everything too!

Cheers, Jim

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#9 posted 04-21-2022 02:18 PM

Wow Dave, sez you have passed the 10K posts mark! Woot! woot! 8^)

Nice writeup, I would never had though twice about a 10”, but it sounds like it works quite well. I have a 14” that I use for “quick” stuff like cuts on small pieces, trimming for router templates, etc. which all would be covered with the 10” while using a little less shop space.

I hear you about the gravel driveway, but it sure keeps those fool kids and their skate boards away!

Have you been to Woodworkers Supply? I picked up my Unisaw there 20 years ago and they seemed like a good place to go for the larger tools. Haven’t been back but they are a tad closer then Denver 8^) (right off the freeway, Abq. north end).

#10 posted 04-21-2022 06:04 PM

Snapping blades is either tension or the guides, Eric. Neither is all that hard to fix, unless there’s a problem with the tensioning mechanism or the guides just don’t stay put, but I have no problem recommend this one, as long as you’re not trying to resaw 12” chunks of oak or something crazy.

Not sure, Tony.

Dave, it’s trusty, and 1/2HP seems to be plenty for most of my work. When I need to mill big pieces again, I’ll get the Delta 14 running again. I think that’s a 3/4HP motor.

Jim, I’m pretty happy with the fence. It’s aluminum, and I managed to skew it a bit when I tilted the table to 45°, but it straightened right back out easily enough.

Splint, wowzers! That’s probably the only 10k I’ll be doing any time soon.

Yeah, I hadn’t thought about a 10 until I realized all the 14s require freight delivery. Plus being able to set it on the stand without calling a neighbor for help was a bonus. I have looked at the Woodworkers Supply website, but every time I do, they don’t seem to have the thing I want. I’ve been happily surprised by my lathe and 1HP dust collector from Harbor Freight though, and that’s at a good location here in Santa Fe. We generally avoid “the big city” of ABQ if we can. I don’t fly at all, and when my sweetie had to go back and forth to MN to visit her mom, she flew through SAF whenever we didn’t drive. But they’re going to be adding a second gate at SAF, so they’ll probably wreck the ambience. ;-)

I resawed some 6” wide box elder this morning. Pretty straight cuts and within a 64th of the 5/32nds I was aiming for. That’ll give me a “fat eighth” after I smooth both sides. Now I just need to find a drum sander I can get delivered without freight…