Grizzly G1023RLX 10" 3HP saw with extended table

Review by bp2878 posted 01-19-2022 02:59 PM 1493 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G1023RLX 10" 3HP saw with extended table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw to replace an old craftsman contractor saw, probably 40 years old. I have been wanting a cabinet saw and decided to purchase one at the end of last year when grizzly had their end of year sell. Then, i decided not to make the big purchase since my saw was functioning, just not what I wanted. I have a 4×8 workbench that my craftsman was inset into so I essentially had an extended rip capacity and outfeed table all built in to my craftsman saw. Also had 8’ rail and nice bessemeyer fence setup. It was working fine so I decided to get either a bandsaw or joiner instead. Literally the day after making this decision, I fired up the craftsman and the bearings were screaming so I went back to getting the tablesaw, after the sale had ended of course.

This is an Initial review.

The saw seams very solid. Plenty of power, especially compared to what I’m use to. Very well built in my opinion, but my experience is pretty limited. I’ve never use a true professional quality saw, but this one seems nice enough for me. There were a few issues with putting it together though:

-I bought the saw with the extended rip capacity, 54” I think. I thought the saw would have two cast iron wings and the remainder of the table would be melamine. This isn’t the case. The left wind is cast iron but the entire right side of the saw is very cheap quality melamine. The melamine table had to be notched in two places to account for the support legs at the end of the table extensions. I had to cut out a 4” x 2” square off the table to install it. It wasn’t hard to do, but I shouldn’t have had to do this on a brand new saw. This is a very low quality table to begin with, even lower after modifying it. This will be the first upgrade that will be done to this saw.

-The bolts that come with this saw are trash, not even grade 2 bolts. The HHCS’s that attach the rail to the fence have standard threads with metric heads. I was in the fastener business once upon a time and never saw this. I’m assuming the bolts were just poorly machined and out of tolerance. I replaced these with grade 5 bolts. The flat washers fold into the holes they go over when torqued down. I replaced them as well. If I had the saw to assemble over again, I would replace every bolt in the kit with grade 5 fasteners, but I’m sure the ones that I didn’t replace will suffice.

-The shop fox fence system is cheap feeling. It is true but just doesn’t feel as nice as my old Bessemeyer. Can’t really put a finger on why, it just doesn’t. I may restore my Bessemeyer and install it on this saw eventually, but it is not pretty and is not going on my brand new saw in its current state.

-The cord is really short, only 9 foot I think. This was an easy fix, turned and old 12g extension cord into a 220 cord and solved that.

The table was dead on square to the blade from the factory which was great.

Overall, I am happy with the saw. I went into it knowing it wasn’t an 8k$ powermatic saw and that it would likely have some minor issues that would need to be worked out so I wasn’t too upset when they arose. It was expected. I think I will be happy with the saw and as of now would recommend it to anyone wanting a good saw under 3k$. I do plan to put the INCRA TS fence system on it eventually, I have one on my router table and love it. I will post pics of the mod I had to do on the extension table to make it work.

Hope this review is helpful to anyone on the fence about this or other grizzly saws. Its certainly not top of the line but IMO, its priced accordingly to what it is. Only time will tell.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#1 posted 01-20-2022 12:48 PM

Hey HP, did you stick a photo of the saw up on your wall…?

How about a few happy snaps of it contently snuggling up to you in your workshop.

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#2 posted 01-26-2022 04:32 PM

I recently bought the same saw, I wanted a full 3 HP saw and better dust collection than my G0715P offered. I am having a hard time getting everything level and the missing hardware has slowed the process considerable. I agree about the quality vs price.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 01-26-2022 05:22 PM

re. the fence.

My old Beisemyer weighs a ton, due to using quite heavy gage steel extrusions.

Compare the weight of the Shop Fox to the Beis and I’ll bet you a nickel there’s quite the difference.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#4 posted 01-27-2022 01:36 AM

re. the fence.

My old Beisemyer weighs a ton, due to using quite heavy gage steel extrusions.

Compare the weight of the Shop Fox to the Beis and I ll bet you a nickel there s quite the difference.

- Mainiac Matt

Yes, big difference in weight. The shop fox one isn’t light, but it is much light than the beisemeyer. Once I finish the dresser I’m currently building, I think I’m going to take a day and strip and paint my biesemeyer and throw it on the new saw. Then again I probably won’t, too much other stuff to build. good thought though.

#5 posted 01-27-2022 01:41 AM

What are you having trouble leveling? I read about some having issues with the left wing not being perfectly flat, but mine was fine.

- TechTeacher04

View jonah's profile

jonah

#6 posted 01-31-2022 09:19 PM

Disappointing that they’ve replaced the right wing with more melamine extension table. Those extensions are always crap, even from the big boys.

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#7 posted 02-01-2022 03:00 PM

Update, I have been able to get everything level. The problem was the L iron on the front of the saw that the square tube for the fence mounts too. Made my first cuts yesterday. So far so good.