Slam-dunk, No Regrets--Great Basic Saw For Everything

Review by jayseedub posted 01-17-2022 01:56 AM 1321 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Slam-dunk, No Regrets--Great Basic Saw For Everything No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t know where I saw this saw recommended to me, but I bought it a few years ago and it never fails to make me smile. I use it for fine-detail work, I use it for rough-cutting 2×4s, I use it for cutting off shims in handy-man jobs—everything. I keep the teeth protected with the flimsy plastic tooth-sheath, and it just keeps on cutting.

Narrow kerf, fast fast cut, cuts on the pull-stroke—handle is comfortable—and it’s cheap. $18 at Home Depot? Is that possible? It’s one of those things I’ll probably buy another one of just to have on reserve—these kinds of great things never seem to stay around long enough to be replaced when you need them.

I have a japanese saw, a Lie-Nielsen rip saw and some other odds-and-ends, but this saw is the one I reach for every time. Should I give a mass-produced, hard-wearing, plastic-molded-handled saw five stars? I think it’s worth it in the “value” category, for sure.

View jayseedub's profile

what’s the model number?

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 01-19-2022 04:19 PM

Interesting to know that they make many saws, thanks for the review.

View TucsonTim's profile

TucsonTim

#3 posted 01-20-2022 08:46 PM

Yup! I agree with everything you wrote. I’ve got the same saw and it’s the one I always reach for first. It just keeps on cutting. Love the darn thing!

-- Tim in Tucson

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

3489 posts in 2061 days

#4 posted 01-20-2022 09:50 PM

Interesting to know that they make many saws, thanks for the review.

- waho6o9

Must be this one?

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View swirt's profile

swirt

#5 posted 01-21-2022 02:26 AM

I’m a big fan of the Vaughan saws. I have the ryoba and it works great’ I’ve ruined a couple blades over the 15 years i’ve had mine, but that is more about my abuse of it and less about its quality. Replaceable blades make it an easy fix.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com