Ultimate Control is just One Foot away.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 01-08-2022 12:56 AM 613 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ultimate Control is just One Foot away. Ultimate Control is just One Foot away. Ultimate Control is just One Foot away. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boy and Girls,

Many claim that time is free, however, my claim is that time is precious and I will sacrifice shekels to make life easier and hoard whatever time I can muster up… even at a micro level time saving.

So I’m always on the lookout for time saving devices… that statement itself is an oxymoron… ya moron (me)!

I have a swag of remote controlled power adapters… be they power points or boards, ranging from foot operated,
(tablesaw)

some cradled for hand operation

or can be floored for foot operation, but still umbilically attached,

IR

with the remote precariously dangling from my top shirt/animal-nightie pocket…
or voice activated.

Was pissed with the way I had to operate my Fe$tool VAC$Y$

so I started to surf the NET for another of my existing foot controlled unit and blundered across this PowerCube... (yay the reviewed item),

Unpacked it to find it was packaged with a mounting attachment,

which clips over one of the outlets sockets,

reducing its availability.

For my setup, I have only temporarily clamped the cube in place,

however, if you bring the cube withing reach using the mounting plate, it has a large switch on the cube to permit toggling by hand.

The remote I attached using double sided tape (on the back of the remote) to the vacuum release foot lever housing of the VAC$Y$,

In all fairness, the way I use this PowerCube, renders it as a one trick pony and is solely used to control my VAC$Y$... rendering the 3 other outlets redundant (2 if mounted using the supplied plate).
Please don’t get unnecessarily coerced into buying a VACSYS and also feel free to use the remaining outlets for different tools.
Other options/remotes may be cheaper, however, I find this the most convenient… at least for this setup.

Apparently the remote is battery-less, so if the unit lasts (past warranty), you’ll never need to look for a replacement battery… and/or amuse yourself for hours unsuccessfully looking for the battery holder.

If you decide to buy one/some, watch what your ordering… some models come with USB sockets and no remote.

Furthermore, you can incestualise them by making one remote operate many Cubes or many remotes one Cube... Damned if I know why you’d wana do something stupid like that, but it’s nice to know you can if you’re twisted enough… and to think, you could use the remote from a straitjacket.

PS. It’s Dutch design… though probably made in China!

Keep safe, jocks... and your jocks, safe!

View Madmark2's profile

Madmark2

3248 posts in 1919 days

#1 posted 01-08-2022 01:45 AM

Cool tool. Looks like you could have printed it.

I have a deadman foot pedal for use with my router. The saw I use the standard switch but I have a remoted switch on both the air compressor and the DC so I can move the switch as needed.

BTW: WTF with the eye level drill press?

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

#2 posted 01-08-2022 02:34 AM

- Madmark2

3D printing is not an issue… but I’m no sparkie and the electronics is above my pay grade.
However, at times it’s “cheaper” (though not as much “frustrating fun”) to buy outright than fabricate in the shop.

Deadman sounds ok for simple jobs, but when you need to do summetsaults and orient grain while routing could be a tad hard to keep your footing.

That “hand”/foot job

is for my router (attached to my tablesaw)... being a backup, it has no smarts behind it short of a router in a hole on a lifter. The “foot” switch is just convenient.

The board with the footprint

is for the tablesaw… easier to foot it when hands are full trying to keep the timber out of the blade.

The IR (with up to 8 powerpoints) controls my dusties… the red button is the 2 bagged extractor, the green is the shop vac, the orange is the air filter and the blue is a roaming powerpoint adapter… all controllable from the four corners of the workshop I have ducting to.
I have swapped out my mag-switches on my dusties (and that eye-level DP) with “standard” switches so they can be remotely controlled through the powerpoint and not the switch… (not necessarily a recommended safe practice).

BTW. I’m a short arse, so that DP is more forehead level than eye. It’s a backup DP primarily for countersinking and those one off odd jobs I don’t want to “re-configure” my Voyager for. It’s sitting on a higher bench than I would use if it was the primary workhorse.

To me the saying ”after retirement I have all the time in the worlds” is utter bullshit.
A lot can be summed up by my oft repeated dovetails prattle… I’ve made quite a few by hand and its a pleasure to achieve, however, with jigs, it’s easier, faster, virtually as good looking (I have the variable D4R and not fixed) and the recipient/viewer couldn’t/wouldn’t tell the difference… at my age, great bit of precious time saved… QED!

PS. Sorry for the rambling… but at the moment it’s easier to temporarily rest and type than risk the dodgy arm in the workshop until it recoups for tomorrow.

#3 posted 01-08-2022 03:23 AM

- Madmark2

hey i got no issue with his drill press,my RAS and miter saw are at 43” i hate bending over to make a cut. i want machines at chest level. damn did i just support the duck…......im sorry !!!!

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#4 posted 01-08-2022 03:25 AM

- Madmark2

3D printing is not an issue… but I m no sparkie and the electronics is above my pay grade.
However, at times it s “cheaper” (though not as much “frustrating fun”) to buy outright than fabricate in the shop.

That “hand”/foot job

The board with the footprint

BTW. I m a short arse, so that DP is more forehead level than eye. It s a backup DP primarily for countersinking and those one off odd jobs I don t want to “re-configure” my Voyager for. It s sitting on a higher bench than I would use if it was the primary workhorse.

A lot can be summed up by my oft repeated dovetails prattle… I ve made quite a few by hand and its a pleasure to achieve, however, with jigs, it s easier, faster, virtually as good looking (I have the variable D4R and not fixed) and the recipient/viewer couldn t/wouldn t tell the difference… at my age, great bit of precious time saved… QED!

PS. Sorry for the rambling… but at the moment it s easier to temporarily rest and type than risk the dodgy arm in the workshop until it recoups for tomorrow.

- LittleBlackDuck

#5 posted 01-08-2022 07:12 AM

... damn it ducks ive listened to your dribble so long…...........i almost agree with most of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- pottz

Hey, if one drinks enough, it’s possible that they may make a slip and actually say something sensible.

Sorry if I make sense.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#6 posted 01-08-2022 06:45 PM

Cool, I have the wall plug and USB charger from them, did not know about this one.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect.

#7 posted 01-08-2022 11:12 PM

- pottz

Hey, if one drinks enough, it s possible that they may make a slip and actually say something sensible.

Sorry if I make sense.

- LittleBlackDuck

no problem,it’s refreshing when i dont have to spend a lot of time analyzing and trying to make sense of what you say. ;-)

#8 posted 01-09-2022 10:56 PM

#9 posted 01-09-2022 11:06 PM

- robscastle

That can’t be yours… no wheels!... or was it just laying next to you when you fell of that truck>

#10 posted 01-11-2022 03:03 AM

wait,

trust you to bloody notice it was for the above eye level height but has wheels!

#11 posted 01-11-2022 08:19 AM