Little Lipper flush trim router guide

Review by Fotodog posted 01-07-2022 03:52 AM 762 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Little Lipper flush trim router guide Little Lipper flush trim router guide No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve bought this guide a while ago but never had the occasion to use it. Well, today I finally had the chance to try it, and I’m very impressed. I’m building a removable bench top with dog holes that is trimmed with 3/4” poplar. I intentionally left the trim about 1/16” proud, chucked up a flush trim bit, attached the guide to the base of my trim router, and let ‘er rip.

The result was a perfectly flush edge with no tearout. In use you lightly hold the router body and put most of your pressure holding the guide down as you guide it forward. One side of the cylinder has a flat bottom, so with a palm size router it’s very easy to keep from tipping, which can be a problem without a guide.

Here’s a video that shows how it works:

It’s been a while so I don’t remember where I bought it, but a quick Google search shows the cheapest price here:

Cheers!

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 01-07-2022 11:56 AM

I guess I’m not seeing the need for a guide if you are using a flush trim bit that already has a guide bushing on it. Does it act as a stabilizer?

#2 posted 01-07-2022 03:05 PM

Yes, it’s a guide that keeps the router very stable. The guide lays flat on the face of the work piece, as opposed to balancing the router on the edge which can lead to tipping. When I’ve routed that way before, I clamped an additional piece of wood to the work piece for better control, but I find using this guide a better method. Small pieces might be better suited for the router table.

Here’s a video that shows how it works:

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 01-07-2022 05:45 PM

The video cleared up my confusion. I was only considering using it in a vertical orientation, not laying it over horizontally.

#4 posted 01-07-2022 06:56 PM

Sorry, should have posted that originally. Laying it horizontal was a game changer for me.

-- Tim

View LittleBlackDuck's profile (online now)

LittleBlackDuck

#5 posted 01-08-2022 12:01 AM

I’m a gadgets man and had a yawn when I first read this… lucky I came back and looked at the video… impressive.

Must admit, I recently bought my Milwaukee trimmer with an offset-base (hell, I didn’t know what they were when I bought it… the offset, not the trimmer). If it wasn’t for that, I’d already be waiting for delivery of this item.

I’m sure many more jocks would be impressed if they bothered to watch the video… thanks for the review ’dog.

Suggestion… Move the video to a more appropriate place in the body of the original post as many viewers may not bother to read all the comments and miss it.

#6 posted 01-08-2022 01:05 AM

Thanks Duck, I have taken your advice and added the link in the first post. When you look at a photo of the guide it’s not intuitive how it’s used. Who knew Ducks were so smart?

-- Tim

View LittleBlackDuck's profile (online now)

LittleBlackDuck

#7 posted 01-08-2022 01:41 AM

.... Who knew Ducks were so smart?
- Fotodog

Ahah!... amongst being used as a bad example... I’m getting edjewmecated to find other uses for me.

View JRsgarage's profile

JRsgarage

#8 posted 01-08-2022 02:55 PM

That looks really handy and useful.

-- “Facts don't care about your feelings.” ..., Ben Shapiro

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#9 posted 01-08-2022 05:12 PM

I have a project coming up that I need this for. I just ordered it.

View JRWOOD's profile

JRWOOD

#10 posted 01-13-2022 11:01 PM

I like it. Thank you for the post. I am going in.

View NedalNooh's profile

NedalNooh

#11 posted 01-14-2022 09:10 AM

balancing a trimmer on a narrow edge is tricky. this tool is definitely useful. thanks for sharing.

-- If you lose, don't lose the lesson.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#12 posted 01-15-2022 01:17 AM

I got mine in the mail today and anxious to try it out.

#13 posted 01-15-2022 01:18 AM

Awesome, hope you like it!