Review by jayseedub posted 01-05-2022 05:14 PM 741 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey WR-700 Digital Fence Readout On SawStop CNS Contractor Saw--36" T-Glide Fence No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received this Digital Readout (DRO) as a gift this Christmas and just installed it about a week ago on my SawStop CNS with 36” T-Glide fence.

This actually gets a very, very rare 5-star review from me within these first few weeks of usage.

Installation: I followed another Lumberjock’s SawStop installation instructions, avoiding the angle-brackets and mounting it directly to the SawStop’s front rail. I used #6 self-tapping metal screws (after pre-drilling pilot holes in the fence rail and aluminum bars) three inches in from each end of the DRO’s aluminum parts (four mounting points, total). Since I used #6 pan-head metal screws centered on the aluminum rails I didn’t need to drill any additional “clearance holes” for the screw heads like I’ve seen done elsewhere. No issues, rock solid.

Installation was easy—I lined up the readout-bars with the outer edges of the SawStop’s measuring tape (the ends of the entire tape, not the ends of the measurements on the tape!) clamped it there, drilled, and installed screws—and it fit perfectly.

The angle bracket that attaches to the fence’s handle needed the “tab” cut off to fit, and since I didn’t use the DRO’s mounting brackets the angle bracket was a little long, and bumped into the aluminum track. By angling the angle-bracket a little bit toward me I was able to still make contact with the readout’s magnet and clear the aluminum track by a solid 1/16+”.

Calibration was super easy, and it was within thousandths on my first try.

Irritation: Very minor points—instructions are quite weak. And when a instructions suggest that some filing of the parts might be required for a great fit it seems like that sort of finish-work should happen before leaving the factory. Still, the $120 price allows for some level of forgiveness since I think it’s a good value at that price. (I’m a miser—and that’s hard for me to admit….)

Surprises: It’s dead-on accurate for my purposes. Surprisingly so. Repeatedly so. And even when the DRO is off it seems to track its position on the fence when sliding it back and forth so I don’t need to worry about bumping it when it’s not being used.

I find myself wishing I had such a DRO on my Incra HD-1000 miter gauge now. It bugs me that I have to use my measuring tape for it. This is a testament to the effectiveness of the DRO, not a shortcoming, of course!

I was hoping for a solution that didn’t require me to bump-bump-bump to my desired measurement (the Incra fence’s positive stops would solve for that, but it’s just to sticky-outy for my small shop, I judged), and that’s still a small irritation but there’s no real solution for it and the accuracy and repeatability I’m getting is worth it.

I used the “incremental” feature the other day to measure for a cutoff (on the side of the far-side of the blade, opposite my fence, deducting the kerf-width of my blade) and it was stunningly accurate and easy.

The plastic of the actual readout feels cheap. Cheap, and brittle like some other things I have. None of them have chipped or broken yet though over many years, and this part shouldn’t really get any abuse so hopefully it’ll hold up.

The backlight is great.

It’d be nice to have a micro-adjust dial to eliminate the bump-bump-bump factor. Maybe someone has a solution for that?

View pottz's profile

pottz

#1 posted 01-05-2022 06:57 PM

i agree with you on this one it’s a great measuring system,love it for the precision. i also have one of their dro’s on my router table,15” planer and drill press. might add one to my drum sander to.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#2 posted 01-05-2022 07:44 PM

There are micro adjust dials out there. Woodpeckers maybe?

I’ve had the Wixey for a long time on the TS and it is probably the most useful tool in the shop. I’m on my second one. The first one finally just wore out. The new version is lit where the old one was not. The DRO is also really helpful for those of us that are ocularly challenged. I also have on on the DW-735 planer which is redundant since the planer stops are very accurate but it is nice to have as a back up. The Wixey for the drill press is helpful. However, the one I have on the router table doesn’t hold calibration and wanders.

View ChromeB's profile

ChromeB

#3 posted 01-06-2022 06:28 PM

Here is how I did it. I bought a Mitutoyo micrometer head off eBay for maybe $15 and built the rest. I can very easily dial in 0.001in.

That is a SIKO digital readout, which is very similar to the Wixey.

#4 posted 01-06-2022 07:09 PM

@ChromeB you’re the best—love this! Does is “permanently” connect to the fence, the rail, or what?

View AlanWS's profile

AlanWS

#5 posted 01-08-2022 06:23 PM

Is this the installation process you followed?

-- Alan in Wisconsin

#6 posted 01-08-2022 06:30 PM

@AlanWS—yes—thank you for linking it here!

View ChromeB's profile

ChromeB

#7 posted 01-12-2022 04:48 PM

Sorry, the pictures really don’t explain too much….

Here’s basically how it works:

The fine adjuster makes a semi-permanent connection to the fence with some strong magnets that are on the underside of its left section. So, the part of the fence that slides along the rail actually extends under the left part of the fine adjuster and magnets on the bottom of the fine adjuster stick to it. You can remove the adjuster, but it takes some effort because those magnets are pretty strong.

Using those two red clamps on the front, the right side of the adjuster clamps to the rail whenever it is time to make a fine adjustment. These clamps actually don’t need to be that strong since you’re just moving the fence. Using a standard micrometer head, it is pretty easy to dial in 0.001in and there isn’t too much backlash if you overshoot and need to reverse direction.

Once you have the correct value dialed in, you lock down the fence using its clamp and hope the value on the DRO doesn’t change on you.

I upgraded this design a bit, but don’t have any good pictures of it. I was able to crop a picture that incidentally had it:

This new design uses a single knob rather than the two red clamps. This works a little better because it tends to keep the fence more square while it is being adjusted. You can also notice that I upgraded the micrometer head to a larger one. The larger head gives your hand a bit better resolution, although it wasn’t completely necessary. The smaller, conventional micrometer worked pretty well.