Veneer Supplies The Incredible Box of Veneers (Premimum)

Review by splintergroup posted 01-04-2022 10:50 PM 792 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veneer Supplies The Incredible Box of Veneers (Premimum) Veneer Supplies The Incredible Box of Veneers (Premimum) Veneer Supplies The Incredible Box of Veneers (Premimum) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I really like veneers, I hoard them 8^)

One of my favorite sources is VeneerSupplies and the subject of this review is their “Incredible Box of Veneers”, premium edition

They are a husband/wife operation in MD
I’d guess the source is leftovers from their full length supplies, distributor samples, one-offs, etc. Some have splits, etc.

I have purchased several of the standard boxes which provide 100+ sq.ft. of various veneers in a 36”x12”x5” box.
These are currently selling for under $0.90/sq.ft.

These veneers are all primarily 3’ long and various widths. Most all are a number sequential “flitches”.

With the standard box, I got a lot of great woods and a lot of so-so woods (to me) like grey dyed maple and heavily fumed exotics which I don’t have much use for. The great thing is poor woods (grain, color, etc.) usually never get cut up into veneers anyway so no worries about a box of pine or poplar 8^)

The Premium box

The difference with the premium box is the quantity (150+ sq.ft.) and supposedly the quality is higher.

Price wise it currently runs a tad over $1/sq.ft.

I was not dissapointed!

The only US domestics were a few sheets of quarter sawn white oak and figured maple, but some of the other wood could be local (walnuts, etc)

The website provides a list of possible woods, claims you’ll receive 12-18 of the items listed (total of 42).

I only recognize a few of these right off:

Photo 1
Curly sycamore
red gum?
A healthy stack of walnut edge cuts
Some regular walnut

rosewood
satinwood
tamo ash

?
some stacks of crotch woods

Plenty for me to ooh and ahhh over for a while!

So now I have wayyy to much veneer so I’ll have to try and think of projects to burn though some of these new finds.

Either the standard or premium box will get you started if you like different woods for projects and want to try veneering.

#1 posted 01-05-2022 02:37 AM

I’ve been looking at some of the Certainly Wood special packs – they sell 100 sq ft for $40 for domestics and $60 for exotics. This sounds like a similar deal, but the entry price is a bit higher…

Oh well. I still need to figure out veneering, which means clearing enough bench space that I can do my test-table with some rosewood veneer I got cheap at Rockler a few years ago. If it works out, I’ll worry about bigger projects.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#2 posted 01-05-2022 10:09 AM

Dave thanks for the link.

-- Petey

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 01-05-2022 11:56 AM

I’m just going to look the other way and pretend like you didn’t post this. OK – I’ll just order one, maybe two…..

This would be a more cost effective way for making A&C inlays than buying 1/2 or 3/4 thick pieces.

#4 posted 01-05-2022 03:37 PM

+1 on the link Dave!

I had (some time ago) bought the domestic pack from Certainly Wood, I believe the price + shipping was the same.

It was ok, just nothing really spectacular (grain wise), A lot of narrows (<=4”), common species (red oak, soft maple, a few walnut, pine). The labeling was nice!

It would be good to hear an experience withe the “exotics” pack.

If you consider the VeneerSupplies boxes, wait for the free shipping deals otherwise you can really get dinged at checkout.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#5 posted 01-05-2022 05:29 PM

Think Paul aka Shipwright has posted some links to his suppliers? Memory serves me right he has a small stash:)

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#6 posted 01-05-2022 07:23 PM

I found Certainly Wood via Paul’s recommendation. I have a $300 stack of (28 pieces, I think) ash burl veneer from them waiting for me to feel competent enough to do the top for our dining room table. Going to be a few practice pieces before that happens though.

#7 posted 01-05-2022 07:41 PM

It’ll look great Dave!

My biggest challenge to currently overcome is getting the edges clean and straight for a veneer “panel” glue up. Almost have it figured out, but still get an occasional chip/splinter on the side that can be a bugger to deal with and hide.

Kinda why I like to keep practicing on smaller items where I have a full sheet available that will avoid the splicing.

Book matching burls is another challenge for me since they tend to be way flaky and usually I only have enough for a single go.

#8 posted 01-05-2022 09:37 PM

Thanks, Splint! For the table, I think I have 4 spares (if my math was correct) if I do a sunburst with the burls. I still need to lay them all out and see for sure, but the picture in my brain says that’ll work nicely. My plan currently is to do a 4-way piece in the center, then have the rest radiating out from that, so I don’t have the super-skinny wedges to deal with.

#9 posted 01-14-2022 01:25 AM

Don’t try and get me to purchase any more veneer. I probably have 10,000 sq ft of misc. veneers. I spent too much time on ebay when veneer was a lot cheaper than it is today.

The people that you stated is selling the veneers. I sold them some of mine when I bought s big bundle of veneer called leopardwood. We were both bidding but I won. That was probably 10 years or more ago. I’m not sure if I’ve used any of it yet.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Appomattox Virginia [email protected]

#10 posted 01-14-2022 04:20 PM

Don t try and get me to purchase any more veneer. I probably have 10,000 sq ft of misc. veneers. I spent too much time on ebay when veneer was a lot cheaper than it is today.

The people that you stated is selling the veneers. I sold them some of mine when I bought s big bundle of veneer called leopardwood. We were both bidding but I won. That was probably 10 years or more ago. I m not sure if I ve used any of it yet.

- Karson

I’m not up to 10K sq.ft. yet, but I’m trying 8^)

I have bought a fair amount from ebay and it seemed that it came from small operations/dealers, always great quality and samples of their other woods added in.

The leopard wood I have is set aside for something special, wonder if it came from your original batch?

#11 posted 01-14-2022 06:56 PM

Post me a picture of the piece of leopard wood that you have and I’ll confirm it to mine. You can send it to my email.