When A Bluetooth turns green.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 12-16-2021 10:44 AM 1278 views 1 time favorited 45 comments Add to Favorites Watch
When A Bluetooth turns green. When A Bluetooth turns green. When A Bluetooth turns green. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boy and Girls,

Why do I keep getting sucked in by everyone elses phobia about shekel scrounging.

Again, to what initially appeared to be my demise, I chose the cheaper option and purchased a Fe$tool Cordless Plunge Cut Saw ”skin”,

as I already had a couple of Fe$tool 18V batteries and charger under my belt.

I also recently purchased a basic, but “Bluetoothable” Fe$tool CTM36E dusty, and upgraded it with the Bluetooth function/feature after reading ic3ss’s great review of the Festool CT-F Bluetooth remote for CT Vac...

Well be buggered, I did some reading (UGH!) and discovered the benefits of Fe$tool’s Bluetooth Batteries which automatically activates my Fe$tool dusty as soon as a cordless Fe$tool is powered on using one of their Bluetooth batteries… can be an oopsie if the dusty is not attached (or attached to another tool).

Nevertheless, after digesting the specs, I was glad I only purchased the Fe$tool Saw “skin” as their kit was packaged with lower spec’d batteries and charger… which would surely be redundant when I eventually would have upgraded.

I also purchased the ”Airstream” battery charger (pic #3) that is supposed to produce a quicker charge using non-polluting clean electricity (fed by my solar).

The saw required 2 batteries

to function at full power… but that’s another review.

Is this feature necessary… not if you’re paying the mortgage of a beach house or planning a 30 day, all inclusive, family vacation around Europe when every shekel needs to accounted for… however, if you like the convenience of a smooth running workshop, it is a handy addition and will pay dividends in self-gratification.

I appreciate that many LJ’ers frown upon Fe$tool equipment and their cost, and quickly tag owners as RFs, however, I decided to post this review more so to highlight the benefit/convenience of Bluetooth batteries in case other manufacturers decide to get out of the ice age and include the technology into their respective product lines.

While I could write a monumental review about my Fe$tool Cordless Plunge Cut Saw, I feel that I’d be wasting my time preaching to the convertless heathens that believe anything green should only be under the tyres of a 4WD.

Keep safe, jocks... and your jocks, safe!

View Foghorn's profile

Foghorn

#1 posted 12-16-2021 05:36 PM

Nice review LBD. I’ve been considering setting up a new shop for small, infrequent and easy on the tools projects and will certainly consider this add-on for the Festool tools I plan to buy to equip it! :)

-- Darrel

View Rich's profile

Rich

8074 posts in 2040 days

#2 posted 12-16-2021 05:46 PM

Nice to see you were finally able to catch up with me!

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

#3 posted 12-16-2021 07:10 PM

I have read your review,
And checked it twice;
still cannot find out what is actually about.
So lets hope its good
For goodness sake!

View mafe's profile

mafe

#4 posted 12-16-2021 07:12 PM

Looks like top of the pops and really cool.
I’m green, but also full of joy on your behalf. Congrats.
Festool:
I love my Festool tools, their just on a different level.
Except the table saw fence that I hate and think is not serious at all, it’s ridiculous to make such wonderful precise tools and then a fence that are… wobbly… CMS
Are they worth the money… It’s never worth spending money we don’t have, so even a cheap Skill saw can be too expensive, I think the answer is that easy.
Festool is for people with a lot of green, it can be earned in many ways and I have to admit, when I see a craftsman with a car full of Festool, I get suspicious, either he is really effective and that means he can get the job done really fast so he has a reason to buy Festool or he’s too expensive and I’m paying for his tools. Laugh.
Thanks,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect.

#5 posted 12-16-2021 07:23 PM

I have read your review
and checked it trice
the battery is not bluetooth
but its the device

and speaking of batteries
Check out this shoulder snapper!

View pottz's profile

pottz

#6 posted 12-16-2021 07:34 PM

a boy and his toys.now duckie is a tool really a tool if you dont use it or just a nik knack ? nice review ;-)

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#7 posted 12-16-2021 08:26 PM

good thing they are frequency hopping or your roller door and workshop would be coming alive every time a taxi went by!

#8 posted 12-16-2021 11:09 PM

Nice to see you were finally able to catch up with me!

- Rich

Like any disease… It finally catches up with even the best of us after it’s played around with the rabble.

I have read your review
and checked it trice
the battery is not bluetooth
...
- robscastle

As that bike… you’re off track. The battery is BT… you must have been looking at the low spec’d one.

You may need to find your wallet for the extra shekels the BT adds to the equation.

... Festool is for people with a lot of green…
- mafe

And for ducks desperate to compensate for their lack of skill.

Like air travel… while preferred by ducks and the deep pocketed populous… it does make long distance traveling a tad easier, if you so choose.

Surprised about the CMS issue… not that I have total faith in what appears to be a semi-robust aluminium contraption, but that Fe$tool haven’t got off their arse to fix it.

My comment on Fe$tool equipment… I’ve had quite a few saws… both hand, corded, cordless and whatever the 4th. category is… there is a significate noticeable difference between Fe$tool and other brands…. like boot leather and eye fillet... they both may fill you up, but I know which I’d rather chew on.

- robscastle

Took me some time to train Alexa to tolerate sharing her frequency with a silent partner.

a boy and his toys…
- pottz

Like driving a Rolls-Royce... once you’ve done it (and I have, a near brand new one about 30 years ago), you’ll always remember it.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#9 posted 12-16-2021 11:37 PM

Big laugh:
‘And for ducks desperate to compensate for their lack of skill.’
I love the German precision on Festool, my plunge saws makes me smile each time I use them, especially on tracks. But yes it’s amazing they cant make a functional fence to the CMS system, I can’t believe its difficult, when they can make everything else so German… I think it’s because it’s a construction saw, but yet, a easy 1-2mm off fence is not acceptable. When leaning towards the blade, it burns and can be dangerous as the wood gets trapped. Yes I have learned to check a lot, to tap it and so on, but… So I do look forward to the day I get room for a big saw, so the Festool CMS can retire. I have made every thing on it for the last ten years, so yes it works, but so would two clamps and a straight piece of lumber. ;-)
If money fall from the moon, I would by the sawstop shop saw, that would be a game changer and safe.

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect.

#10 posted 12-17-2021 12:59 AM

... so the Festool CMS can retire…
- mafe

It’s hard to beat a tablesaw, allbeit a contractor’s

beefed out to look big,

Make your own Fe$tool style MFT tabletop using the UJK Parf System, and with the use of the tracksaw,

the CMS would virtually be redundant.

Hell, just looking at that new Fe$tool saw gets me reaching for the cold spoon... picture taken before I got these BT batteries and used the dust bag as I always used to forget to turn on the dusty until after the cut.

Someone should make a review of the Fe$tool TSC 55 KEB saw as I’m sure LJ members will not openly go out of their way to check on the YouTube reviews… but, not his Little Black Duck!

View Rich's profile

Rich

8074 posts in 2040 days

#11 posted 12-17-2021 04:35 AM

Someone should make a review of the Fe$tool TSC 55 KEB saw as I m sure LJ members will not openly go out of their way to check on the YouTube reviews… but, not his Little Black Duck!

- LittleBlackDuck

I might do one some day. Honestly, from the comments I read, I don’t think many actually understand the whole Festool concept, so preaching to non-believers is probably a waste of time.

A track saw is just a track saw, but Festool is a system.

Btw, Duck, you’ll notice your TSC 55 has a bayonet mount on the outside of the dust port as well as on the inside. More and more Festool products are coming out with those. The idea is that you can use the original 27/32 hose that came with your CT, but you can also use the D36 hose which fits over the port and provides superior air flow. It was included in my cleaning set, but I doubt I’d spring for the $175USD to buy one if it wasn’t.

The photo below shows my setup. You might notice the Festool parallel guides and wonder if I’m crazy. I did just do a review of the Woodpeck option, so why add the Festool?

It’s the best option for narrow stock cutting, hands down. The Woodpeck (and TSO) are designed to use the bar stops under the track, so that the keeper piece is under the track. That’s OK down to a point, but below an inch or so, it requires a major effort to get it all clamped in place so nothing slips during the cut. There’s just not much track holding the workpiece in place.

The Festool cuts the keeper piece on the outside of the track. It’s more secure, and repeat cuts are a snap. Just slide the track over and keep cutting. You can cut strips accurately as narrow as 1/32” (1mm for you). I’ll probably do a review one of these days. I’ve found some tricks for things like getting perfectly parallel cuts using it. For me, parallel is more important than exact width down to the hundredths.

Shown is the TSC 55 K, the Woodpeck parallel guide (reviewed), the Betterley track aligner (reviewed), the Festool parallel guide with the extension set, and the TSO GRS-16, and the MFT-style top on the Bora Centipede (I have two for longer cuts). I didn’t bother showing all of the pieces of the guides, the track segments, etc.

#12 posted 12-17-2021 08:46 AM

... Btw, Duck, you ll notice your TSC 55 has a bayonet mount on the outside of the dust port as well as on the inside…
- Rich

Didn’t notice the inside, however, was pissed off with the outside as the new hose wouldn’t fit some on my 3D printed adapters for my Philistine (non Fe$tool) tools.

I now have 2 Fe$tool dusties (one w/o the Bluetooth) and I still have to rationalise which tool/hose combination fits which… but that’s another project as I have a few puzzles to publish as I can feel pottzy getting withdrawal symptoms.

Ugh… that picture of the TSC 55 is turning me on…

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#13 posted 01-01-2022 03:24 PM

LBD I like that big saw fence.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#14 posted 01-01-2022 03:37 PM

Very super cool Gary! 8^)

LBD, you live in a techno nirvana! I’ve seen to many movies where eventually you get assimilated so I’ll pass on setting up wireless accounts for my dust hoses.

I’d worry that as soon as I needed to make a cut, my tool would flash a 404 and tell me the network certificate has expired.

#15 posted 01-01-2022 11:32 PM

LBD I like that big saw fence….
- GaryCN

Needed a beefy fence to house the Jess-Em jigs,

invaluable on sheet goods and wide boards… just have to remember to clamp down the far end of the fence as the strong springs have the tendency to lift the unsecured end of the fence.

I also like to fence the fence for greater jig attachment versatility.

Very super cool Gary! 8^)

LBD, you live in a techno nirvana! I ve seen to many movies where eventually you get assimilated so I ll pass on setting up wireless accounts for my dust hoses.

I d worry that as soon as I needed to make a cut, my tool would flash a 404 and tell me the network certificate has expired.

- splintergroup

Like all good programmers I have a backup… no Wi-Fi checkers (or Chinese), no UPS (or the unreliable USPS) or my dentist… when I get that dreaded 404 error, I simply swap out the Bluetooth battery with a standard one and continue.

BTW… To all the LJ members (and non-members) that have sent me the countless number of hate-mail… this picture posted above in this review (actually it was a bigger one),

was taken before I got these new batteries and through convenience, didn’t connect the dusty as the bag was sufficient (about 85% efficient) for the exercise.

Wonder how many actually compared the pictures’ sizes?

Hmm…, how many more, after reading the above.
Hmm, hmm… how many after not reading…
The mind boggles.