Spend your money on something else

Review by senomozi posted 11-19-2021 11:33 PM 647 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Spend your money on something else No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Lumberpunk did a nice and quite complete summary of what the tool is. I will tell you what I think of it after roughly 10 years of owning one. I own a large (table based) and two mid-size routers so I used the tool for its intended purpose. I.e. very lightweight routing like small bevels, quarter rounds and shallow mortices for hinges and the likes.

1. The fact it does not have variable speed is a show stopper in my opinion. Routing maple almost always causes burning unless moving the tool at a good pace, which is not always possible depending on the work.

2. As Lumberpunk predicted the plastic pinion of the rack and pinion depth adjustment did not survive. Even before that the depth adjustment was sub-par. It was fair at the beginning but as time went on the router body would slide less and less easily inside the clear plastic part that wraps around it. It became difficult to make precise depth adjustments. I.e. the depth adjustment mechanism is also a show stopper in my opinion.

3. As for the rest, it is a solid tool with good balance for one-handed work and a comfortable grip.

I kept using the tool regardless of its drawbacks so it is not useless but in my opinion you would be better served spending your money on something that has variable speed and a better adjustment mechanism. Recently purchased a Bosh GKF125CE so the Makita has been retired, even though I am a Makita guy.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#1 posted 11-20-2021 12:26 AM

i will, have never been a fan of makita tools.i have one old corded drill and a die grinder,and thats enough.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#2 posted 11-20-2021 12:45 AM

Thanks for this informative review based on your years of experience with the router. This is very valuable!

-- "Join the chorus if you can. It'll make of you an honest man." - I. Anderson

#3 posted 11-20-2021 02:48 AM

I would MASSIVELY prefer B&D, Skil, Ryobi etc… over Makita any day of the week. They have been junk trading on their former good name since the 90s.

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop

View pottz's profile

pottz

#4 posted 11-20-2021 02:54 AM

- dbhost

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#5 posted 11-20-2021 12:25 PM

I won’t bore anyone to tears with branding... While I have my druthers, I also have some Makitas that have served me even after the 90s…

However, one thing I will always protest against are those bloody rack and pinion “luck of the drawer” adjusters in routers and trimmers… and all other equipment that do not support mirco-adjusters...
Rack and pinion seems to be the bane if us heavy handed jerks… Every time I see one, I wan’t to bring out my antique Coke-Cola yo-yo… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-up… oops just missed it, back-upI think you get my drift.

I can’t complain about it’s performance as it has not been put through it’s paces as after purchase and failure to micro-adjust for a dedicated function (Beall wood threader),

it was relegated to it’s cute box and replaced by a Bosch micro-adjuster.

Thanks for the review ’mozi... any good or bad review can only benefit othere members.

View Woodnmetal's profile

Woodnmetal

#6 posted 11-20-2021 03:09 PM

As for myself, recently taking up woodworking as a hobby…
I appreciate the review as well !!

I had been looking into a router prior to being too busy in the garage. Once I complete refreshing, putting my car back together for next season, I will be actively looking once again for a decent router/plunge unit and table.

Since I’m armed with mostly 1/2 shank carbide tooling, I will need 1 capable of mostly 1/2 collet tooling with the option of using 1/4” collet tooling as well.

I will shy away from Makita at this time.

Cheers,
Gary

-- I haven't changed... but I know I'm not the same.

#7 posted 11-20-2021 05:30 PM

I will shy away from Makita at this time.
- Woodnmetal

It don’t feel shying away from a specific brand(s), or being invested in a single one does someone service. No one brand is best or worst at everything. The best advice I could give to someone taking up woodworking is do your research and look for reviews that:

1. Are written by someone who has used the tool for more than five minutes and can provide SPECIFIC pros and cons of a tool.

2. Are in the form of a head-to-head tool tests where the author is a woodworker and takes the time to describe the testing procedure and explain the results.

3. Do not have “buy” or “check price” buttons or coupon codes. These are made by people who want to sell products. Often called “Top 10”, “Top 3” reviews.

I terms of routers I have a Triton, a Makita and two Bosh. All purchased based on good results they had obtained in “proper” reviews available at the time.

Cordless tools are a little different. There is some value in going all-in with one brand where batteries can be interchanged between tools and carry a single charger.

View Woodnmetal's profile

Woodnmetal

#8 posted 11-20-2021 05:51 PM

Having read your response.

Perhaps, shying away from this tool is not the proper wording on my part.

I don’t usually shy away from any tool until I have read the reviews and sifted through the responses. In most cases, even the cheapest of tools can work well. Just need to know its limitations as with any tool.

Would you feel the router in question would be a decent tool for the entry level hobbyist within the forum, given it does not have variable speed along with a micro adjustment that lacks user friendliness.

This tool, also seems to have difficulty with maintaining a decent manual hand/arm feed rate in maple without burning the wood due to the tools “SET RPM” out of the box.

Just my honest opinion here, 3 stars seems quite high to me.

-- I haven't changed... but I know I'm not the same.

#9 posted 11-20-2021 06:05 PM

Would you feel the router in question would be a decent tool for the entry level hobbyist within the forum, given it does not have variable speed along with a micro adjustment that lacks user friendliness?

- Woodnmetal

I would not recommend the tool for any level woodworker. The only application I can think of that it would be OK for is as a dedicated laminate trimmer (one speed , adjust the depth once). So unless you plan on making a lot of countertops or work surfaces you are better off spending your money elsewhere, in my humble opinion.

View StevoWevo's profile

StevoWevo

#10 posted 11-23-2021 01:06 AM

Not to go too far off track here but, does anyone know if the 18volt cordless model suffers from the same deficiencies? I took a chance on their drill and driver kit for my “away” tools that go months without use. It would be nice to stick with one brand of batteries.