Dewalt 20 volt and Milwaukee 18 volt Cordless Router Comparison

Review by Marv88 posted 11-07-2021 06:57 PM 1308 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt 20 volt and Milwaukee 18 volt Cordless Router Comparison No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a fair bit of experience with corded routers as can be seen in this thread and recently decided to try the cordless.

After reading all the reviews and watching videos I ended up getting the Dewalt 20 volt DCW600B and Milwaukee 18 volt 2723-20 (my timing was perfect as Home Depot has a deal on both where you buy the battery starter kit with 2 batteries/charger for $199.00 and get a tool free).

Initially I was going to buy 2 of the Milwaukee’s and dedicate one to the 1/8” round over bit I use almost daily and the other with a plunge base for a circle jig that I also use almost daily (I build custom home/auto speaker cabinets). When I went to order the Milwaukee plunge base I noticed the dust collection port exited to the side while the Dewalt faced up which I find works best with a circle jig so I decided to buy 2 Dewalts instead. After remembering the reviews mentioning the Dewalt was taller, heavier and had a larger diameter which may make it difficult to use one handed I decided to get one of each to suit my needs.

Overall fit and finish of both is excellent as expected, both have similar features in regards to led lights, one wrench bit changes, easily removable brushless motor, variable speed and quick battery changes.

The major differences I found were the bit height adjustment (ring adjuster works fine on the Dewalt however I find the thumbscrew design on the Milwaukee to be more convenient to use), the switch is on the side and the speed adjustment is on the front of the Dewalt while they are opposite on the Milwaukee, the larger diameter as well as additional height did make the Dewalt a bit cumbersome to use with one hand as reviews mentioned and the Milwaukee comes with a shaft wrench as well so you can do 2 wrench bit changes which is my preference.

Also, the Milwaukee comes standard with the dust port attachment, a second larger sub base that allows for template guides and the edge guide while the Dewalt only comes with the standard sub base and single wrench.

For my purposes horsepower is not an issue as the Dewalt will have a dedicated 1/4” spiral bit and the Milwaukee will have a dedicated 1/8” round over and neither is battery run time as both will just be used in spurts for a dedicated task and each has a second battery.

IMO both are excellent machines and will be great additions to the workshop when used within their limitations (in my case the larger sub base as well as smaller diameter motor give the benefit to the Milwaukee for one handed edge work)

-- "Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowldege, skill nor experience"

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#1 posted 11-08-2021 12:33 AM

Good job on review. Thanks!

-- Al,Midwest -To thine own self be true

#2 posted 11-08-2021 01:20 AM

Good review 88... Nice to get an unsubsidised opinion of both branded models.

I have the Milwaukee (with a few extra bells and whistles) so I don’t have the luxury of commenting on the DeWalt..., however, more than happy with the red.

#3 posted 11-08-2021 01:40 AM

Good job on review. Thanks!

- BigAl98

Thanks and you’re welcome!

#4 posted 11-08-2021 01:46 AM

Good review 88... Nice to get an unsubsidised opinion of both branded models.

I have the Milwaukee (with a few extra bells and whistles) so I don t have the luxury of commenting on the DeWalt..., however, more than happy with the red.

- LittleBlackDuck

If not for the dust attachment facing up on the Dewalt which will work better with the circle jig I would have purchased 2 of the red. In any case I am pretty impressed with both as they perform much better than I expected.

View sansoo22's profile

sansoo22

#5 posted 11-08-2021 04:23 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking to ditch my top heavy Rigid cordless router. Not to mention its delayed start mechanism is on the fritz and Rigid won’t fix or replace it. I mainly want something that I can run one handed for flush trim or round over work. I think you may have just sold me on the red one.

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#6 posted 11-08-2021 05:26 AM

Nice review. I’m probably going to be picking up one of these in the spring. I have invested in both team red and yellow and I have the DW’s twin in corded format, I may give that Mkee a go.

Sansoo22
FYI… Milwaukee, Rigid, Ryobi, and Hart are all made by same manufacturer. So if you are not happy with the Rigid, it may be very similar to the Milwaukee.

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...

#7 posted 11-08-2021 05:33 AM

Thanks for the review. I ve been looking to ditch my top heavy Rigid cordless router. Not to mention its delayed start mechanism is on the fritz and Rigid won t fix or replace it. I mainly want something that I can run one handed for flush trim or round over work. I think you may have just sold me on the red one.

- sansoo22

You’re welcome and hope it works out for you!

#8 posted 11-08-2021 06:06 AM

Nice review. I m probably going to be picking up one of these in the spring. I have invested in both team red and yellow and I have the DW s twin in corded format, I may give that Mkee a go.

- RPhillips

Thanks and hope it works out for you. BTW, they had the Ridgid on display as well and the only thing similar I could see was they are both cordless compact routers with the Milwaukee appearing to be a better designed tool imo.

View ward63's profile

ward63

#9 posted 11-08-2021 11:52 AM

Thanks for the excellent review!

#10 posted 11-08-2021 02:54 PM

- RPhillips

To totally different tolerances and specs… My 1st. preference is Fe$tool… but their range is limited.

Thereafter, if I want a seldom used , non-work horse tool I go for Ryobi, but if I want to get serious, Milwaukee gets my vote.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#11 posted 11-08-2021 04:34 PM

Good review but…...I would have liked to see a comparison of how long they run on one charge.

#12 posted 11-08-2021 04:47 PM

Thanks for the excellent review!

- ward63

You’re welcome!

#13 posted 11-08-2021 05:57 PM

- Redoak49

Thanks. For my application run time is not critical however the comparison I read below showed the Dewalt far outperformed the Milwaukee in that category.

#14 posted 11-08-2021 10:15 PM

A quick follow up on the Milwaukee after it’s first real run….after easing the edges on a project with an 1/8” round over bit for about 10 minutes continuously the entire router got extremely warm bordering on hot. To top it off when I was just about done the bit dropped turning a round over into a bead (not critical on this project as I will just re do it with a 3/16” round over bit). The collet was tight so my guess is the base clamp just needs to be tightened a bit. I can’t imagine I had a heavy enough load with a nearly new 1/8” round over bit for it to get this warm (my Dewalt corded compact barely got warm with the same bit and speed) however once it cools down I’m gonna let it run with no load for about 10 minutes to see what happens.

#15 posted 11-08-2021 10:53 PM

Deleted….. as my comment was redundant after seeing 88s comparison chart.