Sandpaper tests - longest lasting, biggest bang for the buck

Review by iminmyshop posted 10-17-2021 03:42 PM 1819 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sandpaper tests - longest lasting, biggest bang for the buck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

What counts with sandpaper is how much it costs per gram of sawdust removed. Cheap paper that has to be replaced every two minutes is an expensive time waster. Lately, the 3M Cubitron Mesh has become my favorite, It lasts a long time, doesn’t clog and is a pleasure to work with. Well, at least as much of a pleasure as sanding can ever be. Now, Johnathen Katz Moses, in controlled lab tests, confirms it. Gram for gram the 3M Cubitron Mesh removed the most sawdust and was one of the least costly papers to use.

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

#1 posted 10-17-2021 07:59 PM

I’m there!

I ‘ve been using the Festool “Granite” which does last, but I’ve still yet to wear out one of the Cubitrons. That stuff also cuts fast, great stuff!

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

2056 posts in 3601 days

#2 posted 10-18-2021 12:52 AM

Interesting. Festool Granat has been my 2nd preferred disc (Cristal is 1st but hard to find) for some time and I never liked Festool Rubin. Though I never did a formal test, it looks like my general impression was accurate.

Mirka abranet was nice but tended to rip before we could fully utilize it. I’ll have to give Cubitron mesh a trial run sometime.

-- See my work at http://altaredesign.com

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#3 posted 10-18-2021 10:10 AM

3M does have good quality. I will give those a try

-- Petey

View Sumdume's profile

Sumdume

#4 posted 10-19-2021 03:26 AM

Where can you get the Cubitron?

-- Rule # 1 - Don't mix yer blood and sawdust!

View jonah's profile

jonah

#5 posted 10-19-2021 01:46 PM

What interfact/pad protector are people using with mesh sanding discs? I have a Diablo pad for my 5” sander that I got with some of the mesh discs they sell at home depot, but not for my 6” Bosch. I’d love to pick up some of the 3M mesh discs for the 6”, but without a pad protector or interface pad it’s a no go.

Bonus points for not having to spend $30 for some overpriced Mirka piece of velcro.

#6 posted 10-19-2021 03:43 PM

Where can you get the Cubitron?

- Sumdume

I’ve bought the “sample packs” on Amazon (5 grits/3 of each). They are/were cheaper than buying the bigger quantities of a single grit

View brtech's profile

brtech

#7 posted 10-19-2021 04:05 PM

There is a difference between Cubitron II Hookit Discs, and Xtract Cubitron II Net discs

The tests referred to in this post are for the latter. I haven’t seen a sample pack of the net discs at Amazon. The best pricing I know in smaller quantities is Taylor Tools

#8 posted 10-19-2021 04:08 PM

Ah, sorry for the confusion 8^)

My experience is with the former (Hookit), though I would assume based on the Mfg’s info that the actual cutting compound is the same between the two.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#9 posted 10-19-2021 04:23 PM

Interesting demo. I always opt for 3M Products when I have a choice. I’ve learned two things
1.. they are the best quality overall
2.. they are more expensive

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#10 posted 10-21-2021 05:19 AM

I do a lot of sanding, well maybe not as much as i used to after somebody pinched my sander.
However Sia and Merka have never worked as well as the demonstration of the 3M cubicon.

I am going to buy some and see if i can get sparks out of my timber too!

-- Regards Rob

View trsnider's profile

trsnider

#11 posted 10-21-2021 03:22 PM

- jonah

Hey Jonah,
I’ve gotten some strips of wide velcro and glued them to my ROS. It works great.

View PaxJen's profile

PaxJen

216 posts in 1941 days

#12 posted 10-24-2021 01:48 PM

That article by Katz-Moses referred to above is well worth the time reading, and there is a similar youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDCRFi8dKY
I just ordered a few packs from Amazon. I have been using the Mirka mesh disks and I was pretty happy with them, except for the price. Expiring patents are a good thing! Monopoly rents are fine, but only for a limited time. Attach a shop vac to your sander and you are off to the races.

-- Pax - Maryland

View PaxJen's profile

PaxJen

216 posts in 1941 days

#13 posted 10-24-2021 02:03 PM

Jonah above asks about a mesh interface pad. This allows the holes in your sander to suck a wider range of the mesh, improving dust collection. The Mirka sample packs I bought a few years ago included an interface pad. I would think this would work for the 3M pads as well, as the velcro patent expired in 1978. The interface pad does not seem to wear out.

-- Pax - Maryland