GRAB O hold of your timber.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 09-27-2021 02:29 PM 882 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GRAB O hold of your timber. GRAB O hold of your timber. GRAB O hold of your timber. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boy and Girls,

I thought I’d do a review of this gizmo for all the members that drool over the Fe$tool SYSVAC yet begrudge the shekels to pay for it and may be seeking a gentler hip pocket alternative. Not everyone can see the need for a vacuum clamping system, however, if you are adventurous enough, this may be the camel that broke the straw’s back and provide some degree of inspiration.

Before I go into the cons, compare the shekels of $400 (Aust) for a GRABO Pro as compared to the Fe$tool offering for around $2,600 (Aust), for a clamp and the pump.

Primarily it is a semi-costly alternative for a Glass pane vacuum lifter, however, its potential can be limitless especially if you live in a glass house and yonnies are being tossed all around you.

Having the Fe$tool SYSVAC, I have no real need for this feature I’m about to extoll and what I offer is pure postulation, however, I can envisage some easy customisations to bring it into fruition.

The GRABO comes in two flavours, the standard

and the Pro

versions. The standard comes with a spare battery which is sadly lacking from the Pro, but the Pro has a neat digital display (in a variety of selectable units)

rather than an analogue display gauge of the standard,

The Pro will automatically cut off when the appropriate pressure is reached and re-activates if it drops, while the standard has to have it running/pumping all the time… the machine can be turned off (not recommended by manufacturer) and it will maintain pressure for a considerable time, however, it needs to be visually monitored and turned on as it may drop below “minimum gripping” pressure.

Gallery picture #3 had the GRABO Pro running intermittently as the pressure was constantly depleting due to the unevenness of the rough dressed timber it was holding,

I happened to experience a fortunate incident, making me the proud owner of both versions.
I initially bought my first GraBO (standard) from Izzy Swann as at the time, he was offering a free “vacuum plate”,

that when place under the GRABO, with the appropriate hardware, can be turned into a vacuum press.

A close friend, in the glass trade, happen to be visiting (between lockdowns) and upon seeing my standard, had an immediate requirement for it and asked if he could borrow it for a few days.
He was so impressed that he rigged out his shop replacing all the manual glass lifter pumps with the Pro version for all his staff.
As a “thank me”, he bought a Pro for me as well and gave back the original standard so I now have 2 GRABOs. Fortunately the batteries are interchangeable so I have 3 batteries between the 2 gizmos.

Both versions have 4 solid metal lugs

to use as anchors in shop made jigs. I can imagine an upside down/sideways (NOT bloody pictures) setup that would function in the same manner as the Fe$tool SYSVAC… buying two and used in tandem would provide greater holding power and would be a helluva lot cheaper than the Fe$tool alternative… I did buy another Fe$tool VAC clamp, however, while it integrates beautifully with the original, it came with a $1,300 (Aust) price tag.

If you play around with sheetgoods (ply, MDF, especially melamine), metal plates, concrete tiles and/or thick glass in your workshop, you’ll find these invaluable in a clamping setup after permitting ease of moving the sheets around in the workshop.

One downside is that it is not the best for very thin (3mm and somewhat 6mm) porous MDF, however, they would be light enough to not require the GRABO.

I got onto this gizmo through Izzy Swann’s WEB site and he has made some great inspirational videos,

that will test your resolve to resist a purchase temptation.
He also made a neat video of using the GRABO for routing templates without the need for double sided tape.
While the plates are no longer bundled free, they can still be purchased from his WEB site, and can be used with the GRABO to make a great vacuum pump for vacuum gluing. Do yourself a favour and at least check it out.

The anchor lugs are not as user friendly as I initially imagined, however, as a proof of concept, I designed a method for captivating a 3/8” nut for attaching some sort of fittings for an upside down/sideways clamping jig.
The pieces were laser cut out of MDF as I was too bloody lazy to chisel out a hex nut shape from solids,

when laminated,

provide a receptacle to secure a nut and prevent rotation,

An ”arch” was designed

to slip over the lugs

to permit attachment of a piece of 19mm x 42mm hardwood

that can be clamped to a bench as proof of concept for a jig to hold timber horizontally or vertically,

With a bit of imagination and reaching into your lobster pot wallet you may surprise yourself with what uses you could devise for a GRABO

Keep safe, jocks... and your jocks, safe!

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

8982 posts in 1956 days

#1 posted 09-27-2021 03:54 PM

problem with izzy videos is he dont wear that very sexy nighty LMAO :<)))))))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View pottz's profile

pottz

20663 posts in 2227 days

#2 posted 09-27-2021 07:08 PM

tony when youve got a body like izzy why cover it up ? sorry but i aint buying your latest gadget duckie,im sure with your nasa funding it aint no big deal.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#3 posted 09-27-2021 09:13 PM

Looks like this post might be in line for a you suck award!!

A nifty mod you have done I must say.

-- Regards Rob

#4 posted 09-27-2021 10:35 PM

Gents (and GR8, pottzy and rc), I’ll leave Izzy in the staring role as after the purchase, I didn’t have enough pension left to perform a video worthy pedicure.

Personally I don’t give a toss whether people are compelled to buy a GRABO on my recommendation… my intention is to make people aware of their existance just in case they may be tempted or are drafting up a family Christmas shopping list… let them buy you something you don’t need instead of bloody sox again.
After all, you can lead a dog to water, but can’t make him chase the horse!.

Even though he’s in the business, my “glass buddy” hadn’t heard of them and is still sending me flowers as a thanks for the enlightenment.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#5 posted 09-28-2021 12:59 PM

The 2022 Presidential Budget Request for NASA, released in full on May 28th, is the 2nd-best budget proposal for the space agency in 25 years. That would mean $24.8 billion for NASA, that’s $1.5 billion, or 6.6%, more than provided by Congress last year.

The increases are spread around the agency, with no one directorate reaping the windfall. NASA’s Deep Space Exploration, Science, Space Technology, and Alex’s workshop.

-- Regards Rob

View Woodnmetal's profile

Woodnmetal

#6 posted 09-28-2021 07:28 PM

Well,... Shiver me O Timber, I got goose bumps on topa goosed bumps.

Oh yeah… all over me thinkin bout what I could lift now with such a device. Seriously,,, Cool little gadget for the home, shop, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.
Heck… that would beat getting dragged outa bed by me wife some mornings…

What address do I send bud too, no… flowers is it ?

-- I haven't changed... but I know I'm not the same.

#7 posted 09-28-2021 10:16 PM

..... That would mean $24.8 billion for NASA, that s $1.5 billion, or 6.6%, more than provided by Congress last year….
- robscastle

As long as bloody Joe doesn’t ask for a refund to cover the Deep Space Exploration, Science and Space Technology backyard workshops.

..... I hope they come up with something like that for the bottom of my favorite walking cane. My back is darn near shot from bending over for pennies, well, nickels now…
- Woodnmetal

Obviously tinman, you didn’t see the video I linked to… already done that will pick up the biggest silver dollar you can find,

bugger the pissant nickels.

View Woodnmetal's profile

Woodnmetal

#8 posted 09-28-2021 10:40 PM

bugger the pissant nickels.

—————————————————-
No way… How did I missed the video ? I will catch the re-run at O200, I will be prepared. But, first, I need to get my silver solder out n try to pound out a few dollars.
Lord tunderin’ I haven’t seen a real silver dollar since my wife put me on such a low spending allowance back in 1962
Maybe I will ask for my allowance to be paid in shekels damit!! I’m tired of nickels.

-- I haven't changed... but I know I'm not the same.

#9 posted 09-28-2021 11:05 PM

... But, first, I need to get my silver solder out n try to pound out a few dollars.
Lord tunderin I haven t seen a real silver dollar since my wife put me on such a low spending allowance back in 1962
Maybe I will ask for my allowance to be paid in shekels damit!! I m tired of nickels.

- Woodnmetal

Even using solder, Pounding may be a step backward,

If you get your allowance raised, I might be able to spruik you some Fe$tool equipment as well…
Though I’d hate to be without a nickel!