Jasper M280 Circle jig for my speaker build. ( Plunge base only)

Review by OldBull posted 08-30-2021 03:52 PM 810 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jasper M280 Circle jig for my speaker build. ( Plunge base only) Jasper M280 Circle jig for my speaker build. ( Plunge base only) Jasper M280 Circle jig for my speaker build. ( Plunge base only) Click the pictures to enlarge them

Sometimes you build jigs and sleds. I have a few, box jig, miter jig, large and small crosscut sleds. Other times you just buy things to make your tasks easier. I was building a pair of Tritrix TL speakers and I needed to cut holes and recesses for the drivers and do it cleanly (drivers are the round devices, speakers are the whole assembly). I asked the community and they responded with many answers and I chose to purchase a jig premade, the Jasper M280 yellow version. There is a new black polycarbonate version which the manufacturer says is unbreakable, the yellow unit is not so tough and some have broken them. The instructions also say not to tighten the screws very tight or it may break.

Yellow https://jaspertools.com/products/the-brand-new-m-280
Poly https://jaspertools.com/products/model-280-master-circle-pro?_pos=3&_sid=e10a60308&_ss=r

The M280 circle cutting jig was made for a few of the popular compact router plunge bases, Porter cable 450PK, Dewalt DWP611, Bosch Colt Pr011 and Makita 195563-0 and although the packaging did not say it the website says it also fits the Rigid 2930? The jig is labled Circle Pro 280 Palm. Is there more than one version ?? This part is still confusing so be careful if you order for the Rigid. The Makita uses all 4 screws, the others only mount with 2. I purchased the Dewalt DWP611 for this project and had never used a router outside of my router table, another reason to choose something to ease the complexity of the speaker build. The Bosch 1617 I thought to be to bulky for this mission and I was probably right especially for a new user to handheld routers. The compact 611 and the jig was fairly easy to operate. It cuts holes from 1.5” to 18 3/16”, 268 different sized holes. They were very smooth, very round and accurate as expected.

It pivots on holes 1/8th” in diameter. It comes with the template, a centering disc with 1/4” collet centering pin, two 1/8” diameter guide (pivot) pins, one 1.5” long and one .7” long. The template is marked for use with 1/4” router bits, the packaging lists the math neccessary to use others. The two pivot pins accomodate shallow and deep pivot holes, also, sometimes the pivot pin hole is under the router base. The guide pin can be under the router base when the diameter of the hole is small. This places the pivot point under the plunge base. This becomes a problem because the long pin can be to long and not allow the router to sit flat, but the short pin can be to short and disappear up into the hollow area of the plunge base (see pic 6). I made a small strip of plywood to fill the void in my plunge base to solve this, See picture #5, 6 and 7. In some situations you can just drill the hole deeper and use the long pin.

MDF is soft, when I am using this on MDF I make sure the hole is as deep as possible so the hole does not get sloppy and enlarge making the cut sloppy.

The M280 worked and worked well for me. At the bottom of the guide are the inches and you go up from there for the fractions, see pic #4. So for 5 and 3/8ths you find 5 at the bottom and go up to 3/8ths and insert your pin. You can read these holes only from the bottom, although it is kind of see through and you can read them backwards from the top. It was appx $47.00 from a local store. I do treat it as a delicate device and handle it gently, maybe overkill but there is only one way to find out and I don’t want to. The Jasper company must be small as a phone call during business hours and an email have never been answered. Between it being delicate and CS I could have given it 3 stars. As far as function I gave it 4 stars, you have to be creative with the guide pins, but that was easy enough. If I knew about the polycabonate model I would have purchased it. Judge for yourself, images below. I keep the centering disc and the parts tube that came with it in an old medicine bottle. This unit is made in china. Don’t forget to re-center the template every time you take it off or loosen it..

View OldBull's profile

OldBull

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#1 posted 08-30-2021 07:46 PM

Thanks for the review. That looks interestng.

-- Petey

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 09-02-2021 03:21 PM

Clean work with a professional look, good job!

#3 posted 09-16-2021 06:51 PM

I have the old clear acrylic one from Jasper. Like it. Use it.

Thx for review.