Great customer service,band saw tires

Review by a1Jim posted 08-12-2021 07:44 PM 891 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great customer service,band saw tires No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi gang
This is a bit strange review other than just a product(in which I’ve heard great things about) but customer service.
This all started with me finding out my band saw’s tires were worn out and after buying the supposed correct tires for my saw I went through the process of installing new urethane tires , a process I’d never done before, that involves taking off the old glued down tires, cleaning the wheels thoroughly and stretching on the new tires.
After following the instructions that were included the tires were installed. After putting the wheels blade back on the saw I found the sawblade kept moving off-center after a short time I realized the new tire was sliding off.
This was extremely aggravating given I’m not fond of mechanical processes.
I double-checked the listing where I purchased the tire from and it said in big print (no gluing necessary) I decided to check the dimensions of my wheels, sure enough, the wheels were not 16” they actually measured 15 5/8” now I’m totally “T”ed off. My saw was made in Italy so I checked the metric equivalent of 15 5/8 was very close to 40 CM .
This started my search online for 40 CM bandsaw tires. after checking with several places and leaving questions
Gary at Bandsaw Tire Warehouse who has lots of bandsaw tires for sale on Ebay, Gary asked me a couple of questions and quickly found my problem #1 my wheels have no lips on their edges #2 No I did not need 40 cm tires because wheel measurements vary, many tires are undersize. #3 In spite of what the online retailers listing said, yes I did need to glue my tires down
Gary knew I had already purchased my tires online but still made a great effort to help me understand what was wrong and he even gave me blow-by-blow instructions on how to glue down. He could have just blown my off knowing I wasn’t going to buy from him.

In addition, here’s what my tech at Laguna tools said about where to get bandsaw tires
“We, unfortunately, do not have tires in stock currently, however, I have heard nothing but good things from our customers when they ordered from the Bandsaw Tire Warehouse, which can be contacted by going to the following number: (908) 241-2885”

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 08-12-2021 08:01 PM

I have also purchased from Bandsaw Tire Warehouse and been very happy. I got not only great tires but excellent advice.

#2 posted 08-12-2021 08:36 PM

This is all good info. What did you use to glue the tires down?

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#3 posted 08-12-2021 08:42 PM

I had a similar issue when restoring an old 14” Powermatic.

The wheels are not crowned /no shoulders and the new urethane tires (sulpher grove) did no have any crown molded in. Their web site showed a trick with two strips of tape to build up a crown between the top wheel and tire. Worked like a charm.

After a few years I started having problems with the lower tire slipping off. Finally I just removed the wheel from the saw and took off the tire. I then used a strip of my favorite router template double sided tape and wrapped the bare wheel. I left the peel-away covering in place and re-stretched the tire over the now taped wheel. I could insert two screwdriver shafts in between the tire and wheel, then separate them by a few inches which formed a tire “bridge” between the two shafts. This allowed room to get a hold of the outer peel-away tape covering and begin removing it as I worked around the wheel.

I got a nice and smooth layer of DS tape between the wheel and tire without any wrinkles or other problems and the tire is very firmly attached and has had no movement for many years now.

I think it was that my wheels were very slightly under the nominal 14”. The top wheel gained a small amount of diameter with the crowning from the tape and that is all it took up there. Since the lower wheel didn’t need any crown, the DS tape took care of the slightly looser fit.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#4 posted 08-13-2021 01:05 AM

Thanks for the info, Jim!!

Jim

#5 posted 08-13-2021 05:54 PM

Redoak I’m glad you agree that Gary is so very helpful.

Pinto I used Contact cement as per Gary’s instruction, here’s the information he sent about gluing tires.

“This is our glue-on instruction that comes with the crowned tires.

If the wheels on your saw do not have a lip on BOTH sides of the tire to
keep it from walking off then you will need to glue the tires on.

Mount the tire on the wheel first. Then pry out the tire and put a 1/2”
dowel or pipe between the tire and wheel. Then brush Weld wood contact
cement or comparable laminate cement onto the wheel behind the dowel as
you twist the dowel around the wheel while brushing the glue in until
you make it all the way around to where you started. Then pull the dowel
out and let dry for 24 hours. I find this is the easiest way to glue a
tire on and it also evens out the stretch as you go.”

splinter
Sounds like a creative way to hold tires in place,good thinking.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#6 posted 08-13-2021 07:39 PM

Jim, thanks for the review.

Question= how did you know in the first place that the tires needed replacing? What where the signs?

Thanks in advance

-- Petey

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#7 posted 08-14-2021 12:11 AM

Band Saw Tire Warehouse. Now there’s a business that would never survive a s a traditional brick and mortar!

Wonderful when someone gives you so much help when ultimately there’s little in it for them…That said… The Bandsaw Tire Warehouse will probably get a number of sales thanks to your review. Customer service is as important as the product itself…something that is often sadly lacking in today’s internet economy. Thanks for the “review!” ; )

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

#8 posted 08-14-2021 01:44 AM

Petey, one of my tires had a piece out of it.

RCC It may get him more business,I hope so.