Buyer Beware

Review by TucsonTim posted 07-14-2021 06:06 PM 1363 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Buyer Beware No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

May 1, 2021 -

Let me start this review on a positive note – There’s a lot to like about this table saw. Price, cast iron top, built in mobility, smooth operation, accurate cuts, a great fence and a steel (not aluminum) rail system. It was everything I was looking for in an upgrade from my 10 year old jobsite saw. I loved my new Delta table saw – for the first 35 days.

Then, it happened. Humming noise from the motor during power on, blade would not turn. I was running the saw on the recommended 20A circuit with a short 12GA extention cord. I contacted Lowes customer service and requested an exchange. This was denied because it was 5 days past the 30 day return policy. Next, I called Delta customer service and my saw was diagnosed with a bad Start Capacitor. Delta approved a replacement part and after 2+ weeks, it finally arrived at my house. I installed the new capacitor, but the saw had the same failing condition. Called Delta customer service again and explained what happened. Their response was for me to take the saw to the nearest warranty repair center which is 135 miles away in Phoenix. So now I’m working out the details to make that happen. Jeeze…

I really want to like this saw. But a failure 35 days after purchase? C’mon, it had maybe 2 hours run time on it. Further research indicates that there are a number of weak components in the motor system – Start Capacitor, Run Capacitor, Micro Switch and Brake Pad can all cause this machine to fail. I’m familiar with the after market kit available to address these issues. For now, I’m trying to work within the Delta warranty.

July 14, 2021 -

Update – Well, I finally got my table saw back from the Phoenix repair shop after 6+ weeks and was informed that a new motor assembly has been installed. The shop manager said that the problem was due to a brake failure which seized the motor shaft. This, in turn, blew the Start Capacitor on the subsequent power-up. The manager said they see this failure all the time with these saws and can’t understand why Delta keeps throwing bad part after bad part at the problem.

I’ll put the saw back together and hope for the best. Man, what a disappointment. Potentially, this could be the perfect step-up saw for woodworkers (like me) looking to upgrade from the benchtop/jobsite class of table saw. Unfortunately, the weak components in the motor assembly really hurts the reliability of the machine and Delta’s reputation in particular.

Sorry for the long rant. But I do have two final thoughts – First, if you buy this saw and it fails, be prepared for a long, frustrating journey to get it repaired. Second, hold on to your old saw (if you have one) for back-up because there’s a good chance you’ll need it.

-- Tim in Tucson

View TucsonTim's profile

TucsonTim

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#1 posted 07-14-2021 06:13 PM

thats a damn shame … But …...... YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY you get what you pay for and that includes service also :<((((((

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 07-14-2021 11:31 PM

Sorry that you had such a problem. I think that what you pay for is a working machine and you did not get that.

#3 posted 07-15-2021 03:22 AM

I feel for you… nothing worse than getting something and find it doesn’t work as advertised... can’t say as expected as expectations are often over rated unless you pay mega shekels… and even then… (”???”).

... I finally got my table saw back from the Phoenix repair shop after 6+ weeks and was informed…

- TucsonTim

Not sure whether this was a plug for or against, however, I’ve found that even in warranty support often needs pressure applied before manufacturers/suppliers comply.

I don’t own one of these TS, however, thanks for the review/heads-up as I’m sure it may benefit someone in the future… even if it’s a contact that they can then “hassle” as a sounding board with experience… errr, you… in a nice way, I hope.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 07-15-2021 07:34 AM

I better not show you my 13 yo 12 ” of which I cut up timber using the max blade setting setting.

which incidentally was a freebie from school made redundant by a saw stop HOJ

A bit of TLC and now features quietly in the background of most of my projects

-- Regards Rob

#5 posted 07-15-2021 12:10 PM

I better not show you my 13 yo 12” of which I cut up timber using the max blade setting setting.

which incidentally was a freebie from school made redundant by a saw stop HOJ

A bit of TLC and now features quietly in the background of most of my projects
- robscastle

Thanks rc... glad you didn’t show me!

#6 posted 07-15-2021 02:36 PM

sorry to hear that i bought one awhile back and really love it.mine is just used mostly as a secondary saw for doing dados on.so far it’s been perfect.mine is not the t2 version though.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#7 posted 07-15-2021 08:36 PM

I’ve had that saw for a couple of years with no issues. Perhaps after the new motor you’ll finally have a saw you can like.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#8 posted 07-16-2021 04:38 AM

How frustrating. Did you take it to Phoenix?.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View TucsonTim's profile

TucsonTim

#9 posted 07-16-2021 06:31 PM

Thanks LJ’s. I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my tale of woe and posting sympathetic comments. I feel I owe everyone a Mea Culpa. I didn’t mean to turn the review into a gripe-fest about my new saw. I’ll try to keep it more positive in the future…

On the plus side – I’ve got the saw put back together and tuned up. Everything was out of alignment following the warranty work. Blade, riving knife, and fence were all off by signifcant amounts. But that was kind of expected. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the saw keeps working. Lots of T1 and T2 owners are pleased with their saws. I want to be among that group…

Answer to Jeff’s question – Yes, the saw was repaired in Phoenix. The good news is that I did not have to drive it up there myself. The company that did the repair work (UNICOA Industrial Supply) has a large branch office in Tucson. They run trucks between Tucson and Phoenix a couple of times a week and were happy to take my saw up (and back) free of charge. I was grateful for that. They were good people to work with. Very friendly…

-- Tim in Tucson

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#10 posted 07-16-2021 09:29 PM

No reason for the Mea Culpa Tim. Dealing with this kind of thing is frustrating. You aren’t the only one who’s vented about QC issues around here! I’m glad that you got everything squared away, and hope that, like most bad experiences once solved, they become distant memories and your saw proves to be reliable and accurate.

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

#11 posted 07-17-2021 12:33 AM

... I feel I owe everyone a Mea Culpa. I didn t mean to turn the review into a gripe-fest about my new saw. I ll try to keep it more positive in the future… (and back) free of charge. I was grateful for that. They were good people to work with. Very friendly…
- TucsonTim

Forget the sympathy TT... I’m sure we all have tales that could turn the toughest brute into a slobbering idiot.

In my opinion, reviews are about member’s experience with a product, supplier or support allbeit good or bad. The intention is to pass on your experience of a product (preferably) to other members that may face a similar situation in the future.
This should not be used as a bitching forum but experiences that may benefit others.

If more members took the trouble to write reviews, I would have a lot of fewer lemons in my workshop… or more treasures.
Far too many times I hear comments in threads like “I’ve been using/doing that for years!”... DOH!.. how about a heads up all those years ago.

#12 posted 07-17-2021 12:49 AM

- TucsonTim

Forget the sympathy TT... I m sure we all have tales that could turn the toughest brute into a slobbering idiot.

In my opinion, reviews are about member s experience with a product, supplier or support allbeit good or bad. The intention is to pass on your experience of a product (preferably) to other members that may face a similar situation in the future.

Far too many times I hear comments in threads like “I ve been using/doing that for years!”... DOH!.. how about a heads up all those years ago.

- LittleBlackDuck

forget it duckie your a tool junkie,nobodies gonna talk you down from a tool fetish.when you want it your gonna get it,face it, it’s like your vino,no ones gonna stop you!

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

#13 posted 07-17-2021 12:52 AM

Be prepared for more of this. In my work, I’ve learned that the COVID impact worldwide has thrown manufacturing into a mess. Material supplies and labor shortages have impacted quality. This is an impact across every industry. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this impacting even high-end tool makers and higher priced tools. When folks have material and labor shortages, they tend to put their focus on higher margin products and let the rest suffer.

-- Chris, "all we are is sawdust in the dust collector""

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#14 posted 07-17-2021 02:45 AM

My dream is Pottzy and LBD get together and spring for a Shopfox W1812 or a 206 Williams and Hussey

-- Regards Rob

#15 posted 07-17-2021 02:49 AM

- robscastle

easy rc,we dont need fantasy on lj’s,ok?