DeWalt 8 Inch Dado Stack

Review by stevejack posted 06-29-2021 01:50 PM 1057 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt 8 Inch Dado Stack DeWalt 8 Inch Dado Stack DeWalt 8 Inch Dado Stack Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had had it with the last 4 Retail store Dado stacks over the last year. All of them were awful. Seems the more expensive they were the worse they cut. SO I decided to pull the trigger on a Ridge Carbon Set for $400. AT that time they were out of stock. UGH! So I watched some more Youtube vids and ran across some about the the DeWalt 8 inch set for $150. Every one seems to love them.

So I bought one. Finally used it yesterday. WOW It really did a great, clean, sharp job. NOT perfect but damn close. One thing I loved was the Case. It is the best Dado blade case I have run across.

My last dado set was a Erwin and the cut was so bad I could not use it on and hardwoods. The case sucked to.

My DeWalts outside blade cutter has just the slightest too long bat ear. Butvery acceptable

I was amazed with my first Ridge Carbide FLAT cut full kerf blade. I used it as a dado blade for a 1.5 wide 3/4 deep dado and the bottom was flawless flat and smooth as glass. That’s why I wanted a dado set from them.

For less than half the price of the RC, and a very acceptable results.

You will love the case to!

#1 posted 06-29-2021 03:12 PM

You go and give it 5 stars and then get cross with it!

I already have a dado set that I’m happy with, but well done for the educational heads up for others.

... One thing I loved was the Case. It is the best Dado blade case I have run across.

... Erwin… case sucked to….
- stevejack

Feel your case problem… Had similar and did a bit of doctoring.

#2 posted 06-29-2021 03:42 PM

Like I said my also DADO was a Erwin and it was in a WOOD CASE but it was about as good as just putting all the parts in a sack….

You go and give it 5 stars and then get cross with it!

I already have a dado set that I m happy with, but well done for the educational heads up for others.

... Erwin… case sucked to….
- stevejack

Feel your case problem… Had similar and did a bit of doctoring.

- LittleBlackDuck

#3 posted 06-29-2021 04:07 PM

I’ve had similar trials and tribulations with dado sets from most brands. I had an Infinity Dadonator that I was quite happy with, but it got munched by a SS brake. Then I tried the Ridge Carbide and the Dewalt 7670. They are pretty comparable blades. Neither is perfect, but if you get a good one, they have decent blade geometry for hardwood.

I really favor dado blades with at least 24 teeth on the outer bades, and at least 6 teeth on the chippers.

The worst one I tried (or the one that disappointed me most) was the Forrest Dado King because it left the deepest bat ears of all the blades I tested. The cut within a single 3/4” pass was flat, but the bat ears were just too deep.

Thanks for the review!

Here’s my video review of the Dewalt DW7670 if anyone is shopping for a new dado blade…

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#4 posted 06-30-2021 02:58 PM

I have that DADO set, but it’s not DeWalt (can’t remember right now).
Exact same case.

View Ed Weber's profile

Ed Weber

#5 posted 06-30-2021 03:17 PM

Glad you’re pleased with it,
I have been using the Freud SD508 for years, never had any issues.

#6 posted 06-30-2021 03:29 PM

I have that DADO set, but it s not DeWalt (can t remember right now).
Exact same case.

- nkawtg

Yes, it was sold under the Delta name brand among others.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#7 posted 07-01-2021 07:30 PM

I have the same set and can agree with everything you said. I’ve only ever used this dado set, so nothing to compare it too. For a set with multiple chippers and shims it’s nice to keep them organized in one case. I hemmed and hawed about spending less on other dado sets but this seemed to have only good reviews and for the cost of not being content with a less expensive set it was work the cost. I got mine from Lowes for $140 last year. I still want to go though the exercise of making a sample/s with most/every possible thickness so it’s easier to figure out what combination of chippers and shims are needed instead of my current try 6 times before I find the right combo and them have to figure it out again because I messed up a piece.

#8 posted 07-02-2021 09:29 AM

Most of the negative reviews of this dado set were about one of the chipper going to deep or too shallow. When they figured out which one they called DeWalt and they told them they would send them a replacement. Little did they know DeWalt sent them a whole new Dado stack set in the case just not anew chipper! WOO HOO!

Like I said one of my chippers is just a tiny bit too shallow and one of the outside blades cuts the tiniest bat ear and I can live with that. The last set I had was a $100 plus set was from Erwin and the cuts it made were unusable.

I have the same set and can agree with everything you said. I ve only ever used this dado set, so nothing to compare it too. For a set with multiple chippers and shims it s nice to keep them organized in one case. I hemmed and hawed about spending less on other dado sets but this seemed to have only good reviews and for the cost of not being content with a less expensive set it was work the cost. I got mine from Lowes for $140 last year. I still want to go though the exercise of making a sample/s with most/every possible thickness so it s easier to figure out what combination of chippers and shims are needed instead of my current try 6 times before I find the right combo and them have to figure it out again because I messed up a piece.

- Bill1974

#9 posted 07-02-2021 02:40 PM

DeWalt doesn’t send out replacement sets anymore. You have two choices when you call DeWalt. You can return it, or you can return it.

The only thing DeWalt now sends out for free is replacement plastic wing nuts for the case.

#10 posted 07-04-2021 12:46 AM

Tried to avoid the obvious as I have never used this dodo set. However, as others have spruiked various alternatives, I might as well become one of the guilty…
I invested into a Freud SD608 8in. Dial-a-Width Dado and for me, shims

are a nightmare of the past… sorry!

View AlanWS's profile

AlanWS

#11 posted 07-07-2021 02:15 PM

The Dewalt set has a table in the instructions listing the cut width with various cutters. If you convert that table to decimal inches (to match the units on the shims) a cheap set of calipers can tell you what cutters and shims to use within a thousandth of an inch. Once you decide how much glue clearance to leave, you don’t need any test cuts. My set came with magnetic shims too, so I only use the standard ones for fine tuning.

If you don’t like shims, go ahead and spend a lot more if you want, but this set works well for me.

-- Alan in Wisconsin

#12 posted 07-08-2021 12:01 AM

.... If you don t like shims, go ahead and spend a lot more if you want, but this set works well for me.

- AlanWS

A good pair of runners will get you from Los Angeles to Augusta and maybe even back… but I’d rather spend a few axtra shekels to make the trip a tad more easier.
Life is too short to shimmy around!

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#13 posted 07-09-2021 10:07 PM

If you want a perfect dado cut without “bats ears”, use a xcut blade to cut the left and right sides of the groove; then use a dado blade to remove the center portion. I know it takes more time, but if you only need 1 or 2 dados and you don’t want the bats ears, that is the way to go.