Cooking Up Things In the Shop

Review by Kelly posted 06-12-2021 09:51 PM 1352 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cooking Up Things In the Shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is, as much as anything, a tip about silicone [and glass] kitchen mats normally used for baking and such, but which prove great for around the shop.

These measure 16” x 24”, so they are a nice size for many projects. They’ll fight off carpenter’s glue, but I haven’t test driven them with Super Glue type products.

They are water proof and will take a lot of heat. They roll up, then flatten again without problems.

I paid about $12.00 for two of them.

View chris underwood's profile

chris underwood

#1 posted 06-13-2021 02:40 AM

This is what I use for glueing up segmented bowls.Works fine.

-- chris underwood

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

#2 posted 06-14-2021 01:00 AM

I use the same type of matts in my shop, I have 3 that were less than $8 each. I’ve found that the CA glue does weird stuff on the silicone matts, but epoxy and wood glue come off fine.

-- Chris, "all we are is sawdust in the dust collector""

#3 posted 06-14-2021 04:11 PM

These are, definitely, far cheaper than mats promoted by Rockler and others, but work as well.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile (online now)

LittleBlackDuck

7621 posts in 1986 days

#4 posted 06-25-2021 12:59 AM

I’ve bought the Rockler ones many years ago and found that acetone and a bit of my good elbow grease will remove CA… though I try to minimise squeeze out.

Good heads-up.

View ezrar's profile

ezrar

#5 posted 07-15-2021 09:30 PM

I’ve been looking at these at Rockler, but was hesitant to pull the trigger because of the price. Does this roll out flat and stay flat?

#6 posted 07-15-2021 10:41 PM

Yes, they do. I have about ten of them because I use them in a dehydrator and every one rolls up fine, then flattens fine when I unroll them.