Solid Bandsaw

Review by EarlS posted 05-30-2021 07:24 PM 1063 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid Bandsaw Solid Bandsaw Solid Bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let’s try this again – I did something wrong this morning and it didn’t load:

A couple months ago, I finally jumped in with both feet and ordered a Harvey 14” bandsaw, a huge step up from the little WEN and Delta bandsaws I owned previously. I wanted a bandsaw with sufficient power to resaw and cut rough lumber while being capable of doing more detailed work as well.

I waited for a few weeks while the priced bounced around. They seem to change the discount nearly every day. I finally bought it for $1349 + $325 shipping. Looking at their site today, it looks like they raised prices ($1695 + $329 shipping – 23% off).

I’m not going to copy the product specifications. If you want to see them you can find them on Harvey's website.

Pro’s: It does what I want it to do
The 3 HP, 220V motor certainly has enough power to resaw and rip lumber
The cast iron table is a nice large work surface
Everything is very heavy duty. The saw weighs 350 lbs
Tool less blade adjustments

Cons: Despite heavy duty construction there are some issues
The lower door rubs on the base
Despite having 2 – 4” dust ports, dust collection is marginal
Gaps between upper door and the frame add to dust collection problem
Blade adjustment knobs below the table are in hard to reach places
Fence and fence rail look good but could use a lot of improvements
Miter slot is sloppy

Conclusion:
While there are some issues, this is a sturdy, solid machine. It is a HUGE step up from what I’ve been using all these years and it does the work I want it to do. I rated this 4 Stars because of the things I mentioned above. However, I would recommend it to someone that is looking for a solid heavy duty bandsaw.

Details:

Blade Guard:
A small handwheel raises and lowers the blade guard. The support bar is very sturdy.

There is also a blade guard below the table. It tends to shift about since it is only held in place with an adjustment knob.

Fence:
The fence is a disappointment. It rides along a rail, with the option for a tall fence (4”) or a low fence.

In order for the low fence to get close to the blade, the fence body had to be beveled down to about 1/2”to keep it from hitting the blade adjustment assembly.

I didn’t get a picture because switching from the tall fence to the low fence was also a pain. The tightening screws are underneath the fence carriage body. As of yet, I haven’t started looking for a solution to the fence and rail problem.

Miter Slot:
I used my fancy Jess-Em miter bar to check the miter slot. There was some slop, which could be resolved by adjusting the miter bar spacers. Eventually, I will get a dedicated miter bar for the bandsaw. It would have been nice to be able to use the same one on both machines.

Dust Collection:
There are 2 4” dust collection ports – one in the front and one underneath the motor (terrible location!!).

Even with 2 dust ports, hooked up to an Oneida Supercell (4” and 2” hoses) dust still came out of the upper section of the frame. Inside the upper section, dust accumulated in the corners.

A fair amount of chips accumulated on the table as well.

Blade Guides:

There are a number of blade guides that can be adjusted without tools which is nice. The above the table guides are easy to access.

The ones below the table, though are not so easy to access:

Fortunately, they don’t have to be messed with much. They do have to be adjusted when changing blades though which makes the change out even more tedious.

I haven’t tried the tilting table. There is a hydraulic piston and handwheel located under the table as well.

Adjusting the wheel, centering the blade and tensioning it took some fiddling, but I finally figured out which knobs, levers, and handles to adjust.

I probably forgot at least a couple of things, so I will update the review as I come across any other items of note.

View anthm27's profile

anthm27

#1 posted 05-30-2021 09:33 PM

Nice machine Earl, seems you got it at the right price too.
Its great how you’ve done the review for others to see the Pros and Cons.
Nice one.
Regards
Anth

-- There is no hope for any of us if we keep apologizing for telling the truth.

#2 posted 05-30-2021 10:00 PM

Thanks Anthony – how are things on your side of the world?

#3 posted 05-31-2021 12:08 AM

Hey Earl,

I may be able to help with some ideas on dust collection. I made some mods for truly excellent dust collection on my Laguna 1412 steel frame bandsaw.

Here’s a video on the dust collection mods…

And here’s an idea for a custom fence and outfeed table…

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#4 posted 05-31-2021 12:20 AM

gratz on the new toy Earl :<)))))))))

its a beauty

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View Sark's profile

Sark

#5 posted 05-31-2021 11:19 AM

Great review, thanks for taking the time to share your evaluation.

#6 posted 05-31-2021 11:36 AM

Willie – Watching the 2nd video reminded me that there is not a light on my bandsaw. It also got me thinking about the extra Peachtree fences I have. I’ll have to look around under the table to figure out the specifics for the dust collection.