My version of the Harbor Freight dust collector

Review by aehrhar2 posted 05-24-2021 03:10 AM 1283 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My version of the Harbor Freight dust collector My version of the Harbor Freight dust collector My version of the Harbor Freight dust collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my second setup for this unit and will be upgrading the impeller as soon as it’s received. I love the setup and having the motor mounted in the attic with the exterior exhaust cuts down on the noise drastically. I have a 6” down pipe w/2 separate 4” drops to the tools.

View aehrhar2's profile

aehrhar2

6 posts in 1906 days

View pottz's profile (online now)

pottz

#1 posted 05-24-2021 04:18 AM

i just dont get the hf dc guys that spend so much time and energy,and money to make a crappy dc do what they need.just spend the money and get what you need right from the start.stop wasting time and money !!!

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View Notw's profile

Notw

#2 posted 05-24-2021 07:56 PM

I can understand it, a lot of us don’t have the cash to drop $2k or more on a great machine right away but at the same time don’t want to breath in all of the dust. The Harbor Freight platform gives people the ability to jump in at $200 and then as money become available they can make it better.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 05-25-2021 01:32 AM

- pottz

What my brother is trying to say- the infamous HF dust collection has been updated and tested some years ago- today there are plenty of options for a cost-effective dust collection- should you want Stumpy Nubbs years ago did this type of stuff with calculation. Today he has gone commercial. Otherwise, if you are happy with this- GREAT

-- Desert_Woodworker

View aehrhar2's profile

aehrhar2

6 posts in 1906 days

#4 posted 05-25-2021 02:29 AM

Do you guys have a suggestion on just a better quality motor/impeller setup I can install in the attic in order to utilize everything else?

View TheSnekkerShow's profile

TheSnekkerShow

#5 posted 05-27-2021 12:15 AM

Looks like a pretty nice setup. I upgraded a HF dust collector three years ago for around $500 total, including the dust collector. Most of the added expense was for a .5 micron Wynn filter, which I don’t think you’ll find on any other systems close to that price range. Especially for hobby woodworkers, every tool purchase is instead of another tool purchase.

I never upgraded the impeller, but I’ve heard of good results. Which one did you get?

-- Ben -- https://www.youtube.com/TheSnekkerShow

View chris underwood's profile

chris underwood

#6 posted 06-08-2021 01:30 AM

Thanks for sharing this.I need another unit but don’t have the cash to drop for a complete one.I think I will get one and work my way too this. And since I am on a budget.I do understand.Thanks Again.

-- chris underwood