I love this thing

Review by sansoo22 posted 05-23-2021 05:19 PM 1113 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I love this thing I love this thing No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased the Double Taper Sanding Disc by Mike Farrington after seeing him use it in several of his videos. And before you go “ugh another YouTube wood worker”...Mr. Farrington is a professional wood worker earning a living with his shop and when he has time shares videos of builds going into real homes of real customers.

The low down:
Where to buy: https://www.mikefarrington.com/dt-disc
How To Use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-kXTKVVTL4
Price: $150…Oh My!!!
Whats in the box: You get the aluminum double taper disc and 4 pieces of high quality paper. 2×120 grit and 2×80 grit.

The nitty gritty:
Mr. Farrington goes thru a way better explanation than I will here in his video but if you don’t like videos I will give it a shot.

The double taper sanding disc is just that. A very well balanced aluminum disc with a 2 degree taper on each side. That taper is very important if you don’t like burning your stock or creating missiles that fire at you.

In this image we get a rough idea of how it works.

The big red diamond is an over-exaggeration of the DT disc. The double taper allows the stock to move thru cleanly and safely without getting burnt or turned into a gut seeking missile. This configuration reduces heat and makes the sandpaper last longer. Disclaimer: I’ve only used this a few times so I can not comment on the longevity of the paper itself.

The 80 grit paper is great if you need to sneak up on a size. You can really fine control how much you take off. The 120 grit paper will leave a finish ready surface. The speed the paper is moving at allows it to act as a higher grit. I would estimate the 80 is more like 150 and 120 is closer to 220.

Setup is super simple. You install it like a blade and adjust from perpendicular 2 degrees. If you have a left tilt saw you have a couple options. Either move the fence to the right side or adjust your 90 degree stop out a couple degrees. Adjusting the stop means you can’t use it to get back to 90 anymore but I dont know anyone who trusts the stops anyway. My contractor saw can not go past 90 so I have to move my fence to the right.

Because its aluminum you wont be able to use your fancy Wixey to set the angle but a small machinist square works just fine for me.

Here we are ready to make some saw dust…ignore that throat plate…I haven’t made a ZCI for this thing yet.

When I plan on using this disc I cut my pieces a 32nd over. So for this project I wanted a bunch of 2 inch strips so I cut them at 2-1/32 then removed roughly a 64th off each side with the 120 grit side.

Here is a before and after couple images of the difference it makes

And finally an image of the herringbone pattern panel I was using the DT disc for. I wanted all the edges to glue up nice and tightly. My table saw doesn’t leave super smooth edges and the DT disc was exactly what I needed to get the type of fit I was looking for.

(Not bad for my first attempt I’d say)

Conclusion
I really like this disc even though the cost was on the high side. I can see several use cases for it already. Anytime you need to make rails, stile, face frames, etc that have corners that would be hard to sand after construction. Pass the pieces thru with the disc before assembly and you’ve already got a finished ready surface.

I hope I answered all the big questions about this accessory. If not feel free to ask in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.

View sansoo22's profile

sansoo22

View pottz's profile

pottz

#1 posted 05-23-2021 05:36 PM

not cheap but i can see a lot of uses for it.thanks for sharing this had never heard of mike or this disc before.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#2 posted 05-24-2021 11:03 AM

Looks like a great product, it certainly produces the goods.
I think a drum sander should produce the same (or better) results, ....if your lucky enough to own one that is!

If you have a mag switch it should hold the Wixey from the other side.
Failing that a piece of tin plate custom bent into a U shape and slipped over the disc will do the job.

-- Regards Rob

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#3 posted 05-28-2021 04:34 AM

At first I was thinking, “Craftsman made these decades ago” but I watched the video and understand the difference. A definite improvement on function and safety. I just might be interested in this one.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#4 posted 05-29-2021 04:32 AM

I have one of the old Craftsman design. It works great though I seldom use it anymore. It worked great.

It only had one side tapered. The other side could be used like a standard sanding disc.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

View Sark's profile

Sark

#5 posted 05-30-2021 11:33 AM

When I make face frames, I run the stock edgewise through the planer. I suspect this tapered sanding disk would produce a finer and more accurate edge sanding, but the planer seems to works for me. I can see that for larger pieces, such as doors, this would be a great tool.

View LarryBudMelmin's profile

LarryBudMelmin

#6 posted 06-06-2021 12:03 AM

bestkept secret in woodworking, the original was sold by a supplyshop in mnew mexico, mine is made from aluminum, cost $30, this new maker is stainless? I got rid of jy jointer and only use this disc, truth is it is more accurate then a jointer and does highly figured wood or burl just as good as ebony. I find a good grit is around 100 grit, nice thing is they are realatively safe as well, safe in the fact it will only remove 1-2 mm of skin at a time…. must have good dust collection.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#7 posted 06-06-2021 12:13 AM

Just as an aside….

I’d never say “Oh no, another youtube woodworker” because I are one. In fact, I have only met 2 woodworkers in real life in the past 10 years and one of them is dead! Everything I know about woodworking (and a lot of other things) I’ve learned either on this site or youtube. I’ll bet you can see how to transplant a kidney on youtube! :-)

Oh yeah… a cool tool!

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View pottz's profile

pottz

#8 posted 06-06-2021 12:37 AM

Just as an aside….

I d never say “Oh no, another youtube woodworker” because I are one. In fact, I have only met 2 woodworkers in real life in the past 10 years and one of them is dead! Everything I know about woodworking (and a lot of other things) I ve learned either on this site or youtube. I ll bet you can see how to transplant a kidney on youtube! :-)

Oh yeah… a cool tool!

- Andybb

good point andy ive learned a lot from so called (you tube) woodworkers.of course there are some that dont know diddly but there are many that are very good at what they do.dont just wright them all off without giving them a chance.

View sansoo22's profile

sansoo22

#9 posted 06-06-2021 01:29 AM

When I wrote this review I will admit I was tad offended by comments made here and other woodworking communities around the web that were along the lines of “those who can’t do…YouTube”. It was probably just coincidence that I saw more than a handful in a short time so my intro to the review was a bit more reactionary than needed.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#10 posted 06-06-2021 08:51 AM

When I wrote this review I will admit I was tad offended by comments made here and other woodworking communities around the web that were along the lines of “those who can t do…YouTube”.
- sansoo22

I totally knew what you meant and thought it was spot on. I mean, how in the world would I possibly know how to turn a pen or even know it was a thing? I’m willing to bet that youtube is responsible for more and younger people picking up w working as a hobby just in time to keep the hobby going and growing.

-- Andy - Seattle USA