FastCap Track Rack optimal storage for your track saw track

Review by therealSteveN posted 05-13-2021 05:24 PM 1087 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
FastCap Track Rack optimal storage for your track saw track FastCap Track Rack optimal storage for your track saw track No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi all

Recent buy, and it’s a winner. Anyone who has a track saw has probably realized the potential for the track itself to become bent, or not functional. I’ve heard a few horror stories. I have been lucky, and have not had a problem, but it is a storage problem to hide a 9’ long track and never have it get hit while moving around large boards.

I happened upon this FastCap Track Rack, it was on sale, and I thought this is a good thing.

It also allows you to very quickly, and easily mount it in a spot you probably aren’t using. The back of your roll up garage door. I generally don’t do much of anything near this spot, and it holds your track tight, and securely. So likelihood of you having an accident are reduced as far as they are likely to be anywhere else.

The hinges on my door are evidently extra heavy duty, and I didn’t have room to mount between the hinges up on the door where I could just walk up, and snatch it down, so I was forced to mount it on the bottom panel where it was only hinged at the top of that panel. Dreading having to bend down to get it, the lightbulb went off, and I realized I just had to open the door, and stop it where I wanted the track to be. Then after taking it off or putting it on, I could lower the door.

It has a shoe at the bottom where the track fits down into, and the top has the turn closure, that clicks closed, and stays put until you turn it back. Travel up and down of the door does nothing to change that, so it will ride up and down until you need the track, and removal is just a few seconds.

Fast, easy, secure, storage of an item you don’t want to keep replacing, those long tracks are expensive. For what it is, this is a bit spendy, but versus the price of a long track, it’s dirt cheap. They are sold in pairs of 2. I used mine horizontally, but they have a foot that can mount on either side of one or both to mount something vertically as well. I can see this helpful for the short length. Sized to fit DeWalt, Makita, and Festool as is, and you can cut out the center part that you use for vertical mounting to shrink down the fit to go over many long flat rails, like the Pro Grip straightedge guides

-- Think safe, be safe

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

View mbg's profile

mbg

#1 posted 05-13-2021 06:06 PM

I’ve had these for little over a year now. I have 4 Makita rails and they all have their place on my garage door. I also have the complete TSO parallel guide set and this inspired me to put fasteners on the door to store them next to my track saw rails.

One issue I had with the Makita tracks was that the way they are shown puts the rail weight on the anti-chip strip. My strips started to deform! Easy solution was to flip these FastCap 180 deg. and mount them with the anti-chip facing up.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#2 posted 05-13-2021 08:07 PM

Oooo. I need them! Gotta have them!

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#3 posted 05-14-2021 01:39 PM

I thought about getting these, Woodcraft has (or had) them on sale for around $15.00 a few weeks ago. I worry about the material breaking down over time and a track falling on one of my vehicles when I open the garage door. I’m going to print a few pairs on my 3D printer and use them vertically between my garage doors.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View controlfreak's profile

controlfreak

#4 posted 05-15-2021 10:52 AM

I bought a pair and to my disappointment my Grizzly track is too wide to fit. I ended up making some brackets out of wood that sit above my swing out shop doors. I my need to send them to another LJ’ er.

View calvin13's profile

calvin13

#5 posted 05-15-2021 10:52 PM

Bought them when they were on sale at woodcraft. My Kreg tracks fit no problem.

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

#6 posted 05-18-2021 07:00 PM

I second this review; put my garage door space to use.

I second what mbg said too; i didn’t even try mounting them “right side up”, and put them upside down from the start, so the zero clearance strip is facing up.

-- Ev

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#7 posted 05-19-2021 01:33 AM

Bought ‘em. Thanks. Purrfect and Festool green too!

-- Andy - Seattle USA