Fiskars Precision Handsaw

Review by poopiekat posted 04-29-2021 09:49 PM 704 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fiskars Precision Handsaw Fiskars Precision Handsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While shopping at Michael’s Craft Store for some resin tints, I found this little saw. Made by Fiskars, a brand I associate with good quality scissors, I bought the saw, it was only about $8 CDN.

I got a chance to use it right away on some pegged joints, and it was crazy sharp!! A very slight set to the teeth made it not suitable for flush cuts, but when pre-cutting dowels it would only take a few strokes to go through. It has about 16 TPI, hardened like some typical toolbox saws. Length of the blade is 7 inches.

I have a dovetail project in queue, on 3/8” maple stock, and I can’t wait to see how well it performs. This will be close at hand for those quickie cuts and I’m guessing it will be getting a lot of use.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

View drsurfrat's profile

drsurfrat

#1 posted 04-30-2021 04:37 PM

Thanks for the note, I have a Fiskars tree/pruning saw and it is equally high quality. I will keep an eye out for this one.

-- Mike (near Boston) ... Laziness is the mother of invention, necessity is the mother of exhaustion - me

View TimmyB's profile

TimmyB

#2 posted 05-01-2021 11:53 PM

I too appreciate your review — it’s really piqued my interest in this small hand saw. I’ve seen it also at our local Home Depot Store (central Florida) which carries many Fiskars tools (small and large) in their Lawn & Garden Department – so folks may want to check there if they can’t find it at Michaels Crafts Store. I have multiple Fiskars yard tools and I’ve consistently been impressed with their overall high quality and the sharpness of their blades. Mine continue to hold their edge after a very long time under pretty hard use.

Would you please explain your comment about the blade having a “very slight set to the teeth” which make it not suitable for flush cuts? I’m afraid I don’t understand what this means.
Timmy B.

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

#3 posted 05-04-2021 06:28 PM

Poopie at one of the woodcraft classes a guy was talking bout how he would put masking tape down the side of the flush cut saw blades to off set the tooth’s set. It works pretty good and I do it now.

Tim on saw teeth they are bent off center to make the slot they cut wider then the saw blade body. That is called the set, most flush cuts have little to no set so the blade body can ride on the work surface and cut flush with the surface. If it has a slight bit of set it will cut the work surface while you are “flush cutting”.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#4 posted 05-04-2021 07:24 PM

Ty, Diverlloyd!
I have a couple of different saws with zero set that I use for flush cuts. I brought it up just out of caution for anyone who might attempt to use it for flush cutting, though I had never heard of the masking tape trick that you mentioned.

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

#5 posted 05-04-2021 08:02 PM

Poopie the guy who said it also had a ton of other masking tape uses. That was just the only one I also never heard of or thought of.