This is not a good saw

Review by Latinosrus posted 04-22-2021 08:20 PM 4056 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This is not a good saw This is not a good saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi I have been doing wood for 20 years
I purchased the Sawstop profesional
1.75 and after 4 months star filing a part.
Customer service only send you the part and you have to fix it yourself.
This is not design for professional use.
I replace gears 3 time already and the motor one
The send the part bath I spend mar time fix it then using it
Very bad saw

View Latinosrus's profile

Latinosrus

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#1 posted 04-22-2021 09:45 PM

So, you signed up here just to tell us about it?

Those gears certainly look bad.

I see a cart of sheet goods in the background. How many hours a day is this saw used?

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

View pottz's profile (online now)

pottz

#2 posted 04-22-2021 11:11 PM

of all the reviews on sawstop ive never seen too many bad ones.that gear looks bad though.you can take any company from the worst to the best and you can find these kinds of situations,all companies get em,it’s how they fix em that counts.it is a pita that you have to waste good shop time with repairs but shipping a table saw is even a bigger one.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#3 posted 04-23-2021 12:38 AM

There’s a ton of grease on those gears. I just regreased mine for the first time after three years. I should have done it before this. I followed the video directions on the SS site and greased everything. First I cleaned everything off. You just put a little grease on a few teeth and then wind the gear back and forth to spread it. I’m wondering if you put a lot on and sawdust just caked into the teeth. It must have been hard to turn the trunion wheels?

View Latinosrus's profile

Latinosrus

#4 posted 04-23-2021 12:48 AM

This is the third one to go bad on this machine I used a Ridgid table saw
For 11 years doing the same thing
And I never have any major problem
I have the Sawstop for 6 months

View pottz's profile (online now)

pottz

#5 posted 04-23-2021 02:18 AM

thats crazy,what does sawstop think is the problem.sounds like maybe defective gears ?

#6 posted 04-23-2021 03:24 AM

I looked around the internet to see if any other gear issues. The only thing was that some people had a hard time getting the blade down below the table if the sawdust built up on a gear. After cleaning it was okay. Nothing like is described here. This is definitely a head scratcher.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#7 posted 04-23-2021 10:58 AM

That is too much grease and will cake sawdust in the gears and will jam.

#8 posted 04-23-2021 10:59 AM

I posted this on the sawstop owners group. No one has ever seen or experienced anything like this. Looks like he may have the only one like it. Someone mentioned that there may be some work going on in the shop that has some corosive substances. Someone else took a close look at the gears and said that once you get by all the grid the gears looked fine. So, I dunno…..

View Underdog's profile

Underdog

#9 posted 04-23-2021 11:17 AM

How much do you want for it?

-- Jim, Georgia, USA

View StevenWoodward's profile

StevenWoodward

#10 posted 04-23-2021 02:03 PM

Hi I have been doing wood for 20 years
I purchased the Sawstop profesional
1.75 and after 4 months star filing a part.
Customer service only send you the part and you have to fix it yourself.
This is not design for professional use.
I replace gears 3 time already and the motor one
The send the part bath I spend mar time fix it then using it
Very bad saw

- Latinosrus

Sorry to hear you are having problems with an expensive new saw. I also have a SawStop so am naturally curious.

Were the gears actually slipping, or did they just look worn ?

Do you know what was wrong with the motor ?

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

#11 posted 04-23-2021 02:36 PM

How much do you want for it?

- Underdog

Clever guy!!

View mrg's profile

mrg

#12 posted 04-23-2021 02:52 PM

Way to much grease. Are you using dust collection? Do you blow the saw dust out?

Where you located, I’ll take it off your hands.

-- mrg

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#13 posted 04-23-2021 03:11 PM

I wonder if alignment of the gears is off causing them to mesh incorrectly. That would cause them to wear out quickly, no matter how much grease is on them. Don’t let them keep putting a bandaid on it because there is obviously something causing them to fail that quickly and I don’t think it’s packed sawdust.

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View GR8HUNTER's profile (online now)

GR8HUNTER

9312 posts in 2046 days

#14 posted 04-23-2021 04:37 PM

what did SAW STOP have to say about your issue ? :<((((

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#15 posted 04-23-2021 08:40 PM

I think smitdog might be onto something.

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.