Removes material quickly and with control

Review by dbw posted 03-28-2021 09:05 PM 858 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Removes material quickly and with control Removes material quickly and with control Removes material quickly and with control Click the pictures to enlarge them

I do a lot of template work using a router. In thicker stock such as 6/4 and 8/4 it can take forever to remove material (not to mention the wear and tear on the bit). This is where this tool shines. It makes quick work out of hogging out large and/or deep parcels of wood. It is made in Australia and it’s designed to work with any 4” or 4 1/2” angle grinder which has a 5/8” 11 shaft. In parts of the world where angle grinders have shafts with metric threads a M10 X 1.5 adapter is included. This adapter is not included in the US version of this kit.

The kit comes with the following: Mini Turbo Blade (which has 2 tungsten carbide cutters), Extension adapter, 5 each 80, 180, and 240 sanding discs, soft rubber backing pad, assembly hardware, torx wrench, and allen wrench. The cutters are round and are designed such that you can rotate them for fresh surfaces once they get dull. Rotating them 90 degrees each time will give you 4 surfaces until they need to be replaced. Replacement cutters are available.

The most surprising part of this tool is the fact that it really does not hurt your template in the least. You can push it right against your template as long as you keep the tool perpendicular to the work piece.

This tool is very easy to control and does not get away from you. The faster the speed of the grinder the easier it is to control. As a matter of fact I called Arbortech tech support and the rep told me to use the fastest speed on my variable speed grinder. I could have saved some $ and purchased a single speed grinder. For the record Arbortech has a very good tech support department.

There is a bit of a learning curve in using this tool especially if you want to do controlled sculpting. For me it doesn’t matter how jagged the results are because I go in and clean it up with a router/bit. I cannot speak to sculpting/shaping as I have not yet done any sculpting/shaping.

One thing I should point out is this tool makes one heck of a mess! Be prepared to do lots of vacuuming and sweeping.

I cannot speak to the sanding discs because I am planning on buying Arbortech’s Contour Random Sander. Using the sanding discs which came with the turbo kit will more than likely result in swirl marks. I suppose for some applications these sanding discs will work just fine.

To sum it up: Pros: 1) works very well, 2) works fast, 3) easy to control, 4) won’t damage templates. Cons: 1) pricey, 2) makes a mess.

-- Woodworking is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

View dbw's profile

dbw

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#1 posted 03-28-2021 11:03 PM

Great review dbw... Not being shy of purchasing tools on a whim, I didn’t think I had enough miles (oops kilometers) up to post a constructive review of this (or other Arbortech) product.

Personally Arbortech have a great range of products for woodies that need to remove bulk material out of odd shapes/areas. All their products are great, however, I’ve found that some are more centered to specific operations, where I’ve had to swap between tools to optimise efficient progress in accordance with the lay of the job at particular moments. What I’m saying is buy some other Arbortechs… and no, there’s no cask-o-vino for comment...

Their mini sanding grinder attachment should be great for carvers and intarsiacs.

View mtnwild's profile

mtnwild

#2 posted 03-29-2021 04:29 PM

Interesting, I never looked at the accessories, thinking they would only fit Arbortech tool.

Always wanted to buy an Arbortech, just been too much money so far…

-- mtnwild (Jack), It's not what you see, it's how you see it.

View metolius's profile

metolius

#3 posted 03-29-2021 06:52 PM

I appreciate the review. Thank you !

-- derek / oregon

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#4 posted 03-30-2021 08:25 AM

Thanks for the review, I have to look into this.

-- Petey

View dbw's profile

dbw

#5 posted 04-01-2021 01:41 PM

” perpendicular to the work piece”. I meant perpendicular to the template.