Oliver Byrd Shelix Benchtop Planer

Review by chip73 posted 03-24-2021 12:41 AM 1236 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oliver Byrd Shelix Benchtop Planer Oliver Byrd Shelix Benchtop Planer Oliver Byrd Shelix Benchtop Planer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just purchased this planer for $699 plus $95 for shipping. After running electrical for a 20 amp fuse I got to try it out. My initial reaction was wow. I’ve had two different panera a jet and Dewalt. This Oliver planer is fantastic! I planed walnut, cherry, maple, paduk, curly cherry and birdseye maple. The finish was excellent will take very little sanding. The curly cherry and birdseye was just excellent. No tear out nothing but a smooth finish. It comes with a Wixey Digital Readout that makes setup very easy. It also has a manual Readout. The dust collection is fan assisted and can run with a 4 ” or your shop vac. I used a shop vac and it easily kept up with chips. After I was done running boards there could not have been a half cup of chips around the machine the rest were in shop vac. The other item I like is the carriage lock. A 2hp motor gives it plenty of power. I was surprised how quiet it was and solid with no noticble vibration. All in all this one everyone should check out.

-- Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 03-24-2021 01:08 AM

Have you tried running an extremely figured piece of wood through, maybe something exotic and hard? I’m curious if it would tear out at all. Any snipe?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 03-24-2021 10:59 AM

Very interesting…I have the DW735 but if I had to replace , I would consider it.

#3 posted 03-24-2021 02:09 PM

Allen I have not tried an extremely figured piece just the Birdseye and Curly Cherry. I had no tear-out it was just smooth. The Paduk is the only exotic I have tried so far. The snipe is very minimal on some boards you can’t see but can feel a slight snipe. I am sure if you got it in the right light you could see it. Should be easy to sand out. I have not tried the infeed and outfeed tables to see if I can improve. Everything was set up like the factory sets it. Each machine is calibrated at Oliver before shipment. I did buy direct from Oliver. Plus fast shipment.

View Daniel's profile

Daniel

80 posts in 2054 days

#4 posted 03-24-2021 04:49 PM

How was the snipe at the ends of the boards? Thanks for a great review. I’ve noticed this one pop up in some advertisements.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#5 posted 03-25-2021 11:49 PM

If you get a chance, could you try running a few boards through the wrong grain direction and see if it tears out at all? I seriously need a replacement for my DW733.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#6 posted 03-27-2021 03:01 PM

Hi Bob sorry it took longer to get back to you but I just finished my tests. Using Cheery, Oak, and Birdseye Maple I see no difference running with the grain direction. Both ways were extremely smooth. Oliver does suggest you run with the grain. This machine seems similar to the Dewalt 734 except with the upgrades. The lock for the carriage is what makes it similar to the 734. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 734 before I saw this unit. The cost was a big factor for wanting the 734 and reviews. But saw so many reviews on people switching to the Shelix head that I decided to go for this which is way cheaper than an upgrade. So I sold a couple of tools I didn’t use and my final cost was $4oo. After a week I am just in love with this unit. Hope this helps.